none
EOP with third party smart hosting, is it supported with on-premises Exchange 2013?

Question

• Hey Guys,

In a hybrid deployment with O365 and exchange 2013. Does a third party smart host like MXlogic or Zerospam work with EOP or does it cause problems? I am told that using a third party smart host with EOP will not work but it seems it does.

Is it better to use on premises Edge server for smart hosting? Just unsure from Microsoft documentation and my 70-342 is in a few weeks. Any help would be great! smile emoticon

Monday, March 28, 2016 7:42 PM

Answers

• Do you mean between Office 365 and on-premises?  I would strongly discourage that.

If you mean between either on-premises or EOP and the Internet, then it can be made to work, but I'd only do it if the host adds some value to what EOP is already doing for you.

It's my opinion that there usually isn't any value to an Edge server when you have a third-party relay host doing message hygiene.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:51 AM

All replies

• Do you mean between Office 365 and on-premises?  I would strongly discourage that.

If you mean between either on-premises or EOP and the Internet, then it can be made to work, but I'd only do it if the host adds some value to what EOP is already doing for you.

It's my opinion that there usually isn't any value to an Edge server when you have a third-party relay host doing message hygiene.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 1:51 AM
  • Hi,

We need create connector to establish the mail flow between Office 365 with On-premise, also smart host for send connector used to On-premise to Office 365.

For your reference: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn751020(v=exchg.150).aspx
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/eopfieldnotes/2014/06/16/outbound-connector-smart-host-behavior/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 9:50 AM
  • Thanks so much and sorry for the late reply. Yes this was very helpful and was inline with my thinking. 
    Monday, April 25, 2016 10:12 PM