Win 7 Pro: renamed user, now Start Menu messed up RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all. Recently I renamed a user in a 2008 R2 domain. I renamed the user, their Exchange alias info, etc., and everything went fine there. I also renamed their home folder on the server, and their profile folder as well on the server.  This went fine, the users' changed name was immediately reflected in NTFS permissions for those folders so no problem there, and after renaming those folders I then went back into AD Users & Computers and changed the users Profile tab to match the new folder names. 

Oddly though, this resulted in the local c: \users\username folder on the user's PC changing names too, going from bsmith to btwinkletoes.  My GPO's for user profiles are set so that the profile is deleted upon log out, however there is always the user's username as a folder in c: users left behind.  So I don't know but it apepras to be a rename, not a delete of the old and creation of new but I could be wrong. 

So my issue is that on the STart Menu, there are Pinned shortcuts to Word, Excel, and others.  These point to the user's profile on the server, however, to the old username, so \\server\userprofiles\bsmith\appdata\roaming\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\QuickLaunch\UserPinned  where it should really be btwinkletoes instead. 

If I right-click on the items in the Start Menu and chjoose Remove from List, nothing happens.  REboots, log out/in etc. don't change anything, and nothing is recorded in event logs. 

I assume a registry fix is needed, but does anybody have any suggestions otherwise? 

Thank you.   

Tuesday, December 2, 2014 2:25 PM

Answers

• Hi viProCon,

After we rename the user name with the user account and the user profile folders, we need to change the "ProfileImagePath" registry key to match the newly-renamed user with the renamed user profile folder.

Here is an TechNet WIKI article talking about on this topic:

See the detailed steps at : How to Rename a Windows 7 User Account and Related Profile folder

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by viProCon Wednesday, December 3, 2014 12:56 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:36 AM

All replies

• Hi viProCon,

After we rename the user name with the user account and the user profile folders, we need to change the "ProfileImagePath" registry key to match the newly-renamed user with the renamed user profile folder.

Here is an TechNet WIKI article talking about on this topic:

See the detailed steps at : How to Rename a Windows 7 User Account and Related Profile folder

Best regards

Michael Shao

• Marked as answer by viProCon Wednesday, December 3, 2014 12:56 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:36 AM
  • I haven't yet read the link but will later today, but that sounds very much like the answer so I'll mark it now. If I run into problems I'll re-post here.
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 12:56 PM
  • Hi viProCon,

That is OK.

Any further questions, please feel free to post here, and I will try what I could to help.

Best regards

Michael Shao

Thursday, December 4, 2014 3:12 AM