none
FIM2010 R2 Sharepoint Farm mode RRS feed

All replies

• Yes, you can.  You're simply going to repeat the process, installing another stand-alone SharePoint Foundation instance on the new server to host the second FIM Portal.   That portal could either point back to an existing FIM Service instance, or to a second FIM Service instance that you install, which ties back to a shared FIMService database.

Cheers,

Marc

Marc Mac Donell, VP Identity and Access Solutions, Avaleris Inc.
    http://www.avaleris.com

• Proposed as answer by Borys Majewski Thursday, November 21, 2013 11:35 AM
    Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:32 PM
  • Hello,

i would preferr to install SharePoint in Farm Mode but only with one Server, as the Stand-Alone Mode installs another SQL Server on the server for SP. Also this SQL is limited in Memory (Express Version).

Then do this again on another server and enable a load-balacing.

This is pretty the same than having stand-alone instance but with the benefit to choose the SQL where to install SP DBs.

Regards
    Peter

Peter Stapf - Doeres AG - My blog: JustIDM.wordpress.com

Thursday, November 21, 2013 2:02 PM
  • If I remember correctly the Standalone Mode does a lot of stuff behind the scenes - that's why I don't use it.

It will create some service application instances that you do not need for FIM (assuming FIM will be the only thing on this SharePoint Farm) for example Search. It will create the databases with GUIDS, this is a personal preference to me, I don't like GUIDS in my database names - makes them hard to read.  In my opinion it makes it more difficult to patch - at least for SharePoint Service packs etc. 

I recommend doing a Farm Install - you can add servers to it if you want to do HA, you don't have to worry about embedded SQL on the same server as your SharePoint install so you're splitting out the roles. 

For HA do your first one, then do the second one and on the Farm install tell it you want to Join it to another farm, be sure and keep track of your Farm Password / Passcode when you do the install on the first SharePoint Web Front End as you will need that to join the second server to the farm.

I also recommend that you do NOT run the products configuration wizard after the install, and spin up the needed services manually via powershell - or the UI - so you don't get GUIDS in the database :) 

I'd recommend you read a post by Spence Habar here: http://www.harbar.net/articles/fimportal.aspx

It's for SharePoint 2013 but the same reasoning applies to 2010.

Friday, November 22, 2013 1:49 PM