none
MS Project 2007 error saving shared resource pool RRS feed

• Question

• I have a project plan that is linked to a shared resource pool.  I can connect the plan to the resource pool and save it once.  Any subsequent attempts to save, I get the following error message.  I did not type a folder name.  I am trying to save to the same project plan location.  Any ideas on what is causing the error or how to fix it?

The folder cannot be overwritten.

The name you typed is the name of an existing folder.  Try another folder name.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:36 PM

Answers

• I didn't think there was such an error message in Project. With linked master files or resource pools, you always have to consider file corruption. If you have ever over-written a linked project, renamed it or moved a file, or the files are accessed over a WAN then you may well have corruption. Break the link to teh pool from all sharing proejcts, then re-link to a new, blank resource pool.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:13 AM

All replies

• I didn't think there was such an error message in Project. With linked master files or resource pools, you always have to consider file corruption. If you have ever over-written a linked project, renamed it or moved a file, or the files are accessed over a WAN then you may well have corruption. Break the link to teh pool from all sharing proejcts, then re-link to a new, blank resource pool.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 8:13 AM
  • I have 3 users of 8 using shared resources that get this error.  If they save the project with a new name they can edit the project all day.  As soon as they close ms project and then reopen their project and they make a change and try to save they get the error.  The error appears immediately when clicking save or if using save as and typing same name.  Error message looks like this:

Once this happens they are unable to unlink the project from resource pool (otherwise they have duplicate).  Someone else has to.

All users are XP and running MS Project 2007 SP2.  File security does not seem to be an issue as same problem occurs if project is saved to desktop.

This is occuring across mutlitple projects.  The resource pool was recreated and renamed.  The projects were recreated and renamed. 

The following dialog box would appear if user will be able to save project:

Friday, December 30, 2011 3:14 PM
  • WMASteve,

As far as I'm concerned Rod gave you the answer but let me reinforce a few things. You have multiple users so it sounds like your resource pool file and perhaps your sharer files reside on a remote server (e.g. WAN). Right off the bat that is not the ideal configuration for linked file structures in Project but it can work if the utmost file maintenance discipline is observed. If more than one user is attempting to open and edit a sharer file at the same time, only the first user to open the file will be able to save changes (i.e. the second user will not be able to save changes). You indicate you have renamed files. That is probably the worst thing you can do in a linked structure. Doing so duplicates the links and will most assuredly lead to corruption.

Even though you may have recreated the pool file, if the original link structure was compromised, there will be link fragments throughout the sharer files and the new structure will quickly become corrupt. If the error messages you are getting are not due to the multiple access issue noted above, then they are most likely caused by file corruption.

I'll carry Rod's suggestion one step further. Not only should you unlink the resource pool and start with a new fresh one, you should also clear corruption from all sharer files. Methods for doing so can be found on the MVP website at, http://project.mvps.org/faqs.htm. See FAQ 43 - Handling Project file corruption and/or bloat.

Once you have everything rebuilt you should be able to stay out of trouble if you adhere to the good practice "rules" for linked structures. Do not rename, do not move, do not "save off" any of the files in the structure.

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, December 30, 2011 5:03 PM