none
User Preference GPO on a specific set of computers

Question

• Hello.

I hope you can help me with this situation:

I’ve been asked to deploy a specific wallpaper to front office computers. I’m not allowed to move the users from the Users OU container. This means the GPO will be created at the Users OU with a Security Filtering to a specific Security Group, right? 
    Believing I know how to set the proper GPO to get the job done (deploying the wallpaper), what is the best method to specify the target computers? WMIC query?

Thank you.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2016 6:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• Do the users in question only use the front office computers? if so you can target the User OU and sec filter by the users in question.

If the front computers are used by multiple different users, you would have to WMI query for all users + the computers in question.

Hope this helps.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 7:02 PM
  • Hi Manuel,

I’ve been asked to deploy a specific wallpaper to front office computers. I’m not allowed to move the users from the Users OU container. This means the GPO will be created at the Users OU with a Security Filtering to a specific Security Group, right? 

>>>You could create a GPO link to the user OU, and security filtering with a group (add these users you want to configure) instead of authentication users.

Believing I know how to set the proper GPO to get the job done (deploying the wallpaper), what is the best method to specify the target computers? WMIC query?

>>>You could filter computer with WMI.

Here is an article about WMI for your reference.

WMI filtering using GPMC

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc779036(v=ws.10).aspx

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 9:56 AM
  • > I hope you can help me with this situation:

Yes, I can :)

> I’ve been asked to deploy a specific wallpaper to front office
    > computers. I’m not allowed to move the users from the Users OU
    > container. This means the GPO will be created at the Users OU with a
    > Security Filtering to a specific Security Group, right?

Deploy the wallpaper to ALL computers (that means, the file itself).
    Then deploy the wallpaper policy setting - not through adm templates,
    but rather through GPP registry. Here use item level targeting for the
    appropriate computers (either by security group of the computer -
    easiest - or whatever targeting suits your needs).

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 2:04 PM
  • User Group Policy Loopback Processing Mode was the right answer to my problem. Now I’m able to apply the user configuration settings to everyone who logs on the target computers!

I’ve found some trouble changing wallpaper due to this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/977944 but I was able to solve it with the explained workaround.

Once again, thank you for your time.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 6:36 PM