Can't create LOCAL user profile on Vista laptop RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell laptop running Vista Business edition. The are a couple of domain accounts on the laptop but I am trying to create a purely local account for use when the laptop is not plugged into the domain. Logged on as the network administrator account and went to Control Panel-> Users and added the local account and put it into the 'Power users' group.

When I go to log on to this account, irrespective of whether it is hooked up to the LAN or not, a local profile fails to be created in C:\Users and a message box pops up saying a temporary profile has been created. I can see the TEMP profile in C:\Users. If I switch users to the network administrator account and go into System-> user profiles the local user profile is flagged up as being a 'roaming' profile. Why on earth should that happen? I look in the event log and when the local user is logged on the entries say that the profile cannot be found on the server and a temporary profile created. Well of course it can't find a profile on the server it's meant to be a local user with a local profile. As soon as I log the local user off the TEMP profile disappears as you would expect.

So, the question begs, why on earth would Vista assume that a purely local account on the laptop should be roaming? As there are NO wrorking local accounts on the laptop I can't log on to one of those to try and get around things that way.

I am stuck in a loop - because Vista assumes 'roaming' the profile fails to create so I can't get on and change it from Roaming to Local. A classic Catch 22.

Anyone seen this before or maybe know a way around this?

I.T. Manager International House London
    Tuesday, March 1, 2011 1:45 PM

Answers

• It could be either on the Server side ("On all of those")or client side.

On the client side disable IPV6 and base filtering service which controls the windows firewall. If you have  Symantec Endpoint or other security software installed, disable them.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet forums.

A temporary profile is issued each time that an error condition prevents the user's profile from loading. Temporary profiles are deleted at the end of each session, and changes made by the user to desktop settings and files are lost when the user logs off.

A user profile consists of the following elements:

1.A registry hive. The registry hive is the file NTuser.dat. The hive is loaded by the system at user logon, and it is mapped to the HKEY_CURRENT_USER registry key. The user's registry hive maintains the user's registry-based preferences and configuration.

2.A set of profile folders stored in the file system. User-profile files are stored in the Profiles directory, on a folder per-user basis. The user-profile folder is a container for applications and other system components to populate with sub-folders, and per-user data such as documents and configuration files. Windows Explorer uses the user-profile folders extensively for such items as the user's Desktop, Start Menu and My Documents folder.

We can perform the following method to resolve such issue:

1. Restart your PC to release the locks on your profile.

2. Log on with another administrative account

3. Delete C:\Users\%username%

4. Delete C:\Users\TEMP

5. Delete the registry key matching your SID from

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows

NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList". Check the value "ProfileImagePath" to make sure you pick your own profile.

6. Restart once again.

For more information, please visit

Create a user account

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb776892(VS.85).aspx

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, March 2, 2011 6:03 AM
  • Hi, I cleared out the registry entries and removed all traces of the local user account.

Bear in mind I want to create a local account on the laptop which has NOTHING to do with the domain. It is an account for use when the laptop is run as a stand-alone PC.

Logged on to the laptop as systems administrator with the laptop disconnected from the LAN. I went into Control Panel->Users and created a new LOCAL account and even set the profile path to C:\users. Then tried logging into that account and lo-and-behold a popup saying that the profile had not been properly loaded and a temporary one etc etc etc.

I look in eventvwr and there is an Event id 1521 User Profile Service - with the content 'Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile......'

WHY has it assumed that a LOCAL user should have a roaming profile? Of course it cannot locate the server copy it isn't connected to a domain!

It then follows with an Event If 1511 User profile Service - Windows cannot find the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary on.

As this is a NEW user why has it not created a profile from the default user profile?

I have never come across a situation where a PC/laptop is assuming that ALL user profiles whether local or domain-based must be roaming and also assume that they already exist and have a profile ready to be achieved.

As it stands I cannot create any user accounts on this laptop.

What I am going to do next is remove it from the domain and take it into a default Workgroup and see what happens.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011 8:58 AM
  • Hi,

As you logged on as network administrator account which may trigger a roaming profile. I suggest perform the following steps quoted from Create a user account:

1. Open Microsoft Management Console by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, typing mmc into the search box, and then pressing Enter.Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    1. In the left pane of Microsoft Management Console, click Local Users and Groups.
    2. If you don't see Local Users and Groups

3. If you don't see Local Users and Groups, it's probably because that snap-in hasn't been added to Microsoft Management Console. Follow these steps to install it:

1. In Microsoft Management Console, click the File menu, and then click Add/Remove Snap-in.

2. Click Local Users and Groups, and then click Add.

3. Click Local computer, click Finish, and then click OK.

1. Click the Users folder.

2. Click Action, and then click New User.

3. Type the appropriate information in the dialog box, and then click Create.

4. When you are finished creating user accounts, click Close.

Regards,

• Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
Friday, March 4, 2011 6:17 AM
  • I created the account(s) through Control Panel->Users->Advanced which gets you to the same place. It still strikes me as totally illogical the a user account which is purely local to a laptop/PC and that does NOT exist in AD on the domain can possibly be defined as a 'roaming' profile. A roaming profile is a profile that follows you from workstation to workstation. If you are logging on to a laptop whilst you may be roaming around the world with it the user profile is stil local to the laptop. I took another different Vista laptop which already had a local account on and after hooking up to the LAN and logging on to the domain as system administrator and then off again when I then tried logging in to the local account it too had been flagged as a roaming profile. Fortunately that ccount had local admin rights so I could just flip it back to local and log off. This is a mystery and I'll get to the bottom of it.
    Friday, March 4, 2011 8:26 AM
  • Hi,

You need to log on as Administrator that has sufficient permissions. Please restart the computer and press F8 when booting into Safe Mode. Log in with the Administrator what usually has a blank password. Then you can  create a new local account.

Regards,

Monday, March 7, 2011 7:52 AM
  • Hi,

How is it going? I would appreciate it if you could drop me a note to let me know the status of the issue. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards

Magon Liu

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 2:56 AM
  • The laptops in question are out in use at the moment but I did try one and strangely the problem did not recur.

This does seem to have kicked off since we added some Windows 7 desktops to the LAN. On all of those, the network administrator profile ends up as 'roaming' even though in AD on the server we do not have it set to have a path on the server for storing a roaming profile. It's as if Windows 7 is assuming ALL profile are roaming whether you want them to be or not. This then seems to have influenced the Vista laptops.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 9:58 AM
  • It could be either on the Server side ("On all of those")or client side.

On the client side disable IPV6 and base filtering service which controls the windows firewall. If you have  Symantec Endpoint or other security software installed, disable them.

Regards,

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:48 AM