Missing disk IOPS RRS feed

• Question

• I have an inventory of 14 machines. When I run performance metrics against the 14 machines I get no errors, but one server doesn't display disk IOP's. All other metrics are reported. This is a Win2k8 Enterprise server with SQL 2k8 that is one node of an active/active cluster. The other node reports fine. How can I trouble shoot this issue.

Map v6.0.3939.0

Thanks,

Alonzo

A query walks into a bar and sees two tables in the corner. He walks up to them and says “ May I join you?”
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 9:00 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure, we'll have to test this scenario, but my guess is that MAP is only reporting once for the whole cluster. This will require further testing and investigation.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 12:00 AM
  • I should have mentioned that it is reporting correctly on both nodes of our dev cluster. It's very strange in that it reports all other aspects of the disks with the exception of the Disk I/O.

I was wondering if there were any logs associated with the tool that I might check?

Thanks,

Alonzo

A query walks into a bar and sees two tables in the corner. He walks up to them and says “ May I join you?”
    Monday, October 10, 2011 12:12 PM
  • The log file for MAP is located at %Program Files%\Microsoft Assessment and Planning Toolkit\bin\log. If you want, you can send the log file to mapfdbk@microsoft.com and I can take a look as well. Just use this for the subject so that I know it is you, MAP Forums-Missing disk IOPS

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:16 AM
  • MAP couldn’t gather disk info on that machine.  Here is one of the log entries:

<2011-10-05 16:41:48.32 WorkerThread2@DeviceInventoryWorkItem,I> InventoryWorkCallback(Device(GUID={1448c679-1413-4645-a849-d5fe879ef9f3},DnsHostName='***********')) - Device inventory completed. Elapsed time = 00:00:07.259. Collector class results: <PerfmonClass ClassName='LogicalDisk(*)'> = FailedDueToMissingPerfObject, <PerfmonClass ClassName='Memory'> = Success, <PerfmonClass ClassName='Network Interface(*)'> = Success, <PerfmonClass ClassName='PhysicalDisk(*)'> = FailedDueToMissingPerfObject, <PerfmonClass ClassName='Processor(*)'> = Success.

This is usually caused by the disk perf counters being turned off (in particular on Windows 2000 due to the default config of the OS). Take a look at this KB article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253251 to see if it applies to your situation.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:46 PM