Don't know why free space in C drive becomes smaller and smaller RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

Need help!

My total space for C drive is 58.4G and I did not install many big software in my win 7.

But in recent two months, I find the free space in C drive always becomes smaller and smaller, now it is only 1.6G. Although I optimized and cleaned up outlook.ost for the best but the issue still comes. Also I find I did not enable system restore function so there is not any system restoring point in my PC.  

Today morning, I opened Diskclean up for C drive and find its windows update cleanup reaches 654M.

So my question is if I can remove the 654M and why the free space in C drive becomes smaller and smaller?

Thanks in advance,

Franklin hong

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Franklin,

WinSxS directory is a large consumer of disk space on Windows Clients. One cause of this is Windows Updates. To allow the ability to uninstall an update, all the previously installed versions of Windows Updates are kept in WinSxS directory even when they become superseded by an update released in future. This accounts for Windows updates taking a lot of space and it continues to grow significantly as more and more updates are installed.

To cleanup it, what you used is a good choice. for more information, please read this article:

Breaking News! Reduce the size of the WinSxS Directory and Free up Disk Space with a New Update for Windows 7 SP1 Clients

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/10/07/breaking-news-reduce-the-size-of-the-winsxs-directory-and-free-up-disk-space-with-a-new-update-for-windows-7-sp1-clients.aspx

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by FangZhou Chen Tuesday, December 30, 2014 8:29 AM
    Monday, December 22, 2014 2:41 AM
  • How to address disk space issues that are caused by a large Windows component store (WinSxS) directory
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2795190

To remove the service pack files from a Windows installation, use the following in-box utilities:
    •Windows Vista Service Pack 1 installed: VSP1CLN.EXE
    •Windows Vista Service Pack 2 or Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 installed: Compcln.exe
    •Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 installed: DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded or Disk Cleanup Wizard (cleanmgr.exe)

Another place is "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" that could be eating a lot of space.
    First patch your computer.
    Then stop windows updates service.
    Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder
    start windows updates service (will re-create C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution)

Paging file could be eating space as well.
    You can also try adjusting the amount of space allocated for paging.

Usually there is some temp files that you can remove as well
    C:\Windows\Temp
    C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Temp

Windows installer cached packages
    C:\Windows\Installer

Microsoft office cache
    C:\MSOCache

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 4:10 PM

All replies

• Yes, you can delete it. No worries. :)

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:32 AM
  • Hi Arnavsharma,

Thanks for your quick reply.

But what does windows update cleanup mean?  Is there any other way to free up space for C dirve?

Franklin hong

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 5:03 AM
  • Old updates. 

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, December 18, 2014 10:09 PM
  • wrong

• Edited by Chilam.Wa Monday, December 22, 2014 2:40 AM wrong
    Monday, December 22, 2014 2:40 AM
  • Hi Franklin,

WinSxS directory is a large consumer of disk space on Windows Clients. One cause of this is Windows Updates. To allow the ability to uninstall an update, all the previously installed versions of Windows Updates are kept in WinSxS directory even when they become superseded by an update released in future. This accounts for Windows updates taking a lot of space and it continues to grow significantly as more and more updates are installed.

To cleanup it, what you used is a good choice. for more information, please read this article:

Breaking News! Reduce the size of the WinSxS Directory and Free up Disk Space with a New Update for Windows 7 SP1 Clients

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/10/07/breaking-news-reduce-the-size-of-the-winsxs-directory-and-free-up-disk-space-with-a-new-update-for-windows-7-sp1-clients.aspx

Karen Hu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 22, 2014 2:41 AM
  • How to address disk space issues that are caused by a large Windows component store (WinSxS) directory
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2795190

To remove the service pack files from a Windows installation, use the following in-box utilities:
    •Windows Vista Service Pack 1 installed: VSP1CLN.EXE
    •Windows Vista Service Pack 2 or Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 installed: Compcln.exe
    •Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 installed: DISM /online /Cleanup-Image /SpSuperseded or Disk Cleanup Wizard (cleanmgr.exe)

Another place is "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution" that could be eating a lot of space.
    First patch your computer.
    Then stop windows updates service.
    Delete C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution folder
    start windows updates service (will re-create C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution)

Paging file could be eating space as well.
    You can also try adjusting the amount of space allocated for paging.

Usually there is some temp files that you can remove as well
    C:\Windows\Temp
    C:\Users\%UserName%\AppData\Local\Temp

Windows installer cached packages
    C:\Windows\Installer

Microsoft office cache
    C:\MSOCache

Tuesday, December 23, 2014 4:10 PM