Automatically download and install Windows Updates before capturing a thin image RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Please advice on the following requirement.

Currently, we are still using MDT 2012 Update for building a new image/ updating an existing Windows 7 image.

Environment Details

The DHCP, WDS and MDT are all installed on a single box (Windows Server 2008 SP2) 32-Bit. There is no WSUS sever setup. We are doing a PXE boot for capturing a new image via standard task sequence.

Requirement

We have a requirement to download and install the Windows Updates automatically once the operating system is installed and before the capture and sysprep begins via standard task sequence. 

For this I have just enabled Windows Update (Pre application installation) and Windows Update (Post application installation) steps in the Task sequence so that the reference machine connects to Microsoft Update then search for and download all available updates including Security Patches, Drivers, Browser Updates and Service Packs. And this followed by the next steps of sysprep and capture..

Is this recommended way? Will this work out? Will it affect the network bandwidth?

Do you have any other suggestions to get the Windows updates installed before capturing the WIM using the same task sequence.

Awaiting your suggestions..

Thank You,

Vidhya

• Edited by Vidhyak06 Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:41 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:37 AM

All replies

• This guide will help you out - http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

Just substitute the OS the guide is talking about with what's applicable to the OS you are using. The goal should be to have your reference image up to date so that when you deploy it little to no updates need to be installed on the target machine.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 5:27 PM
  • Hi

You can use a local WSUS server or you can download all the patch offline and use the patch Offline feature in MDT.

I you are using a WSUS server instead of Windows Update then you can better select the different patch category.

Kind regards
    Per Larsen
    Twitter: @PerLarsen1975 | Blog: osddeployment.wordpress.com
    If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:16 AM
  • Thank you, I will refer to the link you have provided and let you know how it goes.. :)
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:38 AM
  • Ok sure, let me give a try for alternate options. Thank you.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:38 AM