locked
Windows 7 x64 indexing not working on drives where index contents as well as properties is enabled RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have Windows 7 Pro x64 on my desktop. I noticed that files are not showing up when I search for them. Investigation showed that anything that is not on the C:\ drive is not being indexed. As I have my documents, pictures, music etc on other hard drives, this means practically nothing on my computer is being indexed (except, funnily enough, my emails in Outlook 2010). The indexer is definitely the problem - if I take everything out of the indexing options except for d:\documents (my main documents folder, holding thousands of files), the indexer shows that it's completed indexing after indexing 2 items!

    I have googled this for hours. I have rebuilt the index from scratch multiple times (both using the button and editing the registry value to say that the search hasn't finished). I have moved the index files to another hard drive. I have double checked all file permissions on the drives, folders and files I want to index. I have double checked all options regarding extensions being indexed. I have added and removed drives from being indexed using indexing options. I have run sfc /scannnow. Nothing worked.

    As a final act of desperation I unticked the option "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed as well as properties" on my D:\ drive properties - and lo, the indexer started going nuts and all my files got indexed. When I ticked the option again, they were deleted from the index... The same thing happened on all my non-C drives. So it seems as if I can only index the properties of the files, not the contents. My index is currently sitting at over 120,000 items, after stubbornly sitting at 2.

    Obviously this is not ideal, but it's better than no index at all! Any ideas how I can get the indexing to work properly so that I can index the contents as well as the properties of my documents? I have found a couple of other people via Google who have the same problem, but so far no-one has found a solution.

    I should add that I don't have this problem on my laptop which is running Windows 7 Pro x32, with pretty much the same software installed on it.

    Monday, September 27, 2010 7:37 AM

Answers

  • Ok, I did even more googling, and it seems that there's some problem with McAfee 2010 and Windows 7 x64 search which is giving rise to this problem. For anyone interested, I found this thread: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/26047?start=120&tstart=0. Uninstalling McAfee seems to fix the problem - I'm about to give it a try and will update this thread with the results in case anyone else is struggling with this issue...
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:58 AM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 8:16 AM

All replies

  • Ok, I did even more googling, and it seems that there's some problem with McAfee 2010 and Windows 7 x64 search which is giving rise to this problem. For anyone interested, I found this thread: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/26047?start=120&tstart=0. Uninstalling McAfee seems to fix the problem - I'm about to give it a try and will update this thread with the results in case anyone else is struggling with this issue...
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:58 AM
    Monday, September 27, 2010 8:16 AM
  • Glad to hear you found the culprit of this issue. J


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 6:58 AM
  • Yes, just to confirm, uninstalling McAfee completely sorted out the indexing problems I was seeing. I have installed Norton Internet Security instead and everything is fine.
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 8:02 AM