none
DPM Server 2010 and Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 the same physical server RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All,

In my company environment. 
    - I'm using DPM Server 2010 for backup Exchange server DAG (short-term disk and long-term Tape)
    - I'm using Symantec Backup for backup File sharing, SQL server and so on backup to tape.

The DPM and Symantec are different physical server.

I want to configure DPM and Symantec on the same physical server.

Is it possible?

BR,
    Khemarin Set

Khemarin333@hotmail.com

Thursday, July 26, 2012 8:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

DPM cannot share a tape library with any other application, it needs exclusive use of the physical library.  However, if the tape library supports hardware partitioning, then you can make a 2nd partition, use one partition for DPM and another partiton for Symantec.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM cannot share a tape library with any other application, it needs exclusive use of the physical library.  However, if the tape library supports hardware partitioning, then you can make a 2nd partition, use one partition for DPM and another partiton for Symantec.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Dear Mike Jacquet,

I have only one "IBM TotalStorage 3573 Tape Library". DPM 2010 can backup both short-term disk and long-term tape and Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 also can backup to tape when it is different server.

After I decided move Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 to the same physical server with DPM 2010, I got one issue below:

- DPM 2010 cannot backup long-term tape (it seem, it cannot read Tape Library)

Noted: DPM 2010 can backup short-term disk and Symantec Backup Exec 12.5 can backup with Tape Library.

Do you have any idea?

Khemarin333@hotmail.com

Friday, July 27, 2012 4:08 AM
  • Hi,

I would recommend that you partition the library, I think that library supports it, if not and you must use symatec on the same server as DPM, then don't configure DPM for any tape backups.

Friday, July 27, 2012 4:53 AM