none
Task Duration not accounting for Exception Days RRS feed

• Question

• I am having issues with the project file accounting for exception days per the Calendar assigned.   Below are what I believe are the facts:

1.        I need the project to account for exception days for the calendar assigned 
    2.        The same Calendar is not only assigned to the Project, but also to the Resources.
    3.        If I insert the Duration for a task, it will come up short due to not accounting for the exception days.  Example:  Task 30, Storyboard/Workorders started 11-22-11 and finished 1-19-12, should only take 37 days to complete based on the calendar schedule of every other friday off… however it is taking more time to complete than the 37 days.  I think it is not accounting for the exception days (every other Friday is a non-working day according to Calendar).
    4.        If I insert the Date Started and Date Finished the Duration for the task will be longer than what was actually taken for the task.

Please help... thanks

Thursday, May 17, 2012 10:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Happy it helped.

To complete your understanding, have a look at http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm Faq 5. Default working hours

Your conclusion may well be that from now on you may give in durations as hours since "days" may be ambiguous!

Done something different? Don't know. As long as you know that Project immediately internally translates "days" into "minutes" using the calendar option numbers, you will unerstand <hat happens!

Greeings,

Friday, May 18, 2012 4:26 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Project uses the true definition of duration, which is the number of work periods required to complete a task/project.  Since no work usually is happening on exception days or when tasks are split, the duration is not affected, since no work is going on during these periods.  To get the actual number of calendar days a task covers, you should/can use a custom field to have project calculate is from the start to finish.  My opinon is to use a custom number field, rename it "Calendar days" and insert the following formula: [Finish] - [Start]

Have the forumla roll up these into the summaries to get a true total for each phase or the project.

Hope this helps.

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Thursday, May 17, 2012 11:15 PM
  • Mr. Richie,

Ok... please excuse my ignorance, as I am new to MS Project; however, you said Project uses the true definition of duration, which is the number of work periods required to complete a task/project and since no work is happening on exception days, the duration is not affected.

That is exactly what I need to happen.  When I assign every other friday an exception day where no work is being accomplished, as well as Federal Holidays and I input a task that spans a few weeks where exception days exist, I need to only account for duration where work can be accomplished.  And to use the example from above, if I start a task on 11-22-11 where I have an off friday on 11-25-11, 12-9, 12-23, and 1-6 as well as Holidays on Jan 2 and Jan 16, and the task duration is 37 days, my task should end on 1-19-12.  However, when I input 37 days, my task is forcasted to end on Friday 1-13 a full 3 duty days short of when I count up the actual working days.  That is my problem. 

I have the work calendar and resource calendar the same, which accounts for all the exception days and it is the project base calendar.  When I go to the VIEW tab and use the CALENDAR view, the non-working days and working days are consistent with the project and resource calendar.  So I am stumped. 

Friday, May 18, 2012 1:55 PM
  • Hello,

Check your Calendar OPTIONS to see whether your hours per day parameter matches the working hour in each day of the Calendar.

Greetings,

Friday, May 18, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Mr. Messemaeker,

We work an odd schedule:

Mon-Thurs 7-5 = 9 hours

Working Fridays 7-4 = 8 hours

So short weeks we work 36 hours and normal weeks work 44 hours.  80 hours in 2 weeks.

So for the default, under Calendar OPTIONS, should I put the Default start/end time 7-5, 9 hours per day, 44 hours a week and 20 days a month?

I did make those changes and it seems to have corrected my problem, which is a great relief!!!  However, since I didn't catch this problem until about 11 projects were created (I know I am not very observant), I will unfortunately have to correct many errors.  Can't Wait.  Let me know if you would have done something different.

Thank you and Mr. Richie for your help...

Friday, May 18, 2012 3:27 PM
  • Hi,

Happy it helped.

To complete your understanding, have a look at http://www.mvps.org/project/faqs.htm Faq 5. Default working hours

Your conclusion may well be that from now on you may give in durations as hours since "days" may be ambiguous!

Done something different? Don't know. As long as you know that Project immediately internally translates "days" into "minutes" using the calendar option numbers, you will unerstand <hat happens!

Greeings,

Friday, May 18, 2012 4:26 PM