XblGameSave Task on Server 2016. Is this a joke? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Could someome from Microsoft explain to me why Xbox services exist on my Server 2016 machines and why in Task scheduler are they enabled to run on every user login and when computer is idle?

Companies pay millions for your software licenses and you include some garbage from Windows 10. Shame on you!

Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:22 PM

All replies

• Could someome from Microsoft explain to me

For this you'll need to call in to product support.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/contactus81?Audience=Commercial&wa=wsignin1.0

or if providing feedback you could vote these ones up or add your own feedback here on uservoice.

https://windowsserver.uservoice.com/search?filter=merged&query=xbox

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:35 PM
  • That's supposed to Sync and Upload Xbox Live Save Games or related settings.

But might be their last change to grab Telemetry data in case you disable all other official Telemetry services.

Who knows or can guarantee your privacy when you get online?

Obsession? My choice is to use a separate laptop for online activities and move data from it by burning to a Re-Writable DVD only, using a 3rd party burning app like Nero Burning ROM. Get updates from below link and move it the same way:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4043454

Sunday, January 14, 2018 4:40 AM
  • Noticed this as well. Can't believe MS puts garbage services on their servers OS.
    Monday, January 22, 2018 1:58 AM
  • This is a security concern, servers shouldn't run unneeded services.

I think that it's time for Microsoft to realize that they need to separate the home OS from the work OS and the server OS again.

Many years ago, Microsoft used to have one OS "home branch", one "office branch" and one "server branch". For example: Windows 98, Windows NT 4, and Windows NT 4 Server. At that time, if you got a blue screen on NT, it was usually caused by a hardware malfunction. But then Microsoft decided to use NT for the home also (and later with Vista SP2, they used the server branch for the home/office also), which was an ok decision, but instead of keeping two separate products for home and office, they merged it, so the "office branch" got filled with useless home stuff, and it seems that nowadays some of this gets even into the server branch. Not good.

Tuesday, June 5, 2018 3:05 PM
  • Yes, totally agree!

Back in good old times of stable and hassle-free SERVER OS Microsoft designers took server OS and filled it with desktop features to create consumer product. But nowadays server OS is made by  stripping cunsumer OS, in this case Windows 10, off with some features...but obviously they do not manage to strip integrated features properly off.

So when you run SERVER, you can see rubbish like "Tap here for..." or server label "My PC" with pinned favourites like "Pictures" and "MY Videos". On the other hand MS did not fix main security issues, despite integrating TPM and other sophisticated security mechanisms. Server OS is maybe more vulnerable as it was 10 years ago, and admins have troubles digging into logs without needed details just as a decade ago.

Where did Microsoft go? Towards security, usability? No, but rather towards upselling unneeded product packages. Just my 5 cents.

Wednesday, June 20, 2018 9:07 PM
  • Hey guys and gals,

Don't offload this issue onto home users. I just found XBL blah blah as a scheduled task on my home machine.  I don't own an Xbox. It was hogging my disk and had the "highest priority".  Apparently MS thinks my machine is "theirs" and can run unwanted tasks at the highest priority at times of day that I didn't request, just because they can.  Task scheduler is so badly written it took a while to figure out how to add/change triggers.  You see a tab labeled "triggers". Why can't you just click on it and edit a trigger?

Maybe it's time for MS to start some research into why they're making our machines into hurlable objects by slowing them down to a crawl.

Saturday, June 27, 2020 9:37 PM
  • Can't believe this is still present after the 2020-04 update on WS2019.
    Wednesday, July 8, 2020 6:45 PM
  • I agree.  The word Xbox has no place at any company I support.   I am equally shocked and appalled to see anything like this on business OS's
    Thursday, July 9, 2020 1:24 AM