One App. 2 Configs. 2 Sequences - Interfering RRS feed

• Question

• I have one app that I want to deploy twice. Each deployment has a different config.

I've got 1 MSI install that I have used as the install for for each of the two sequences.  Same app, different config in each sequence.  Each sequence was done from the same MSI but using different Q:\ install locations to keep the file systems completely separate.  I made the config changes during sequencing.  Shortcuts are configured to go to different start menu\programs folders.

Each sequence deploys and works fine - on their own.  BUT when the second sequence is deployed when the other already exists. One set of shortcuts disappears and only one of the configs is available.  There is a conflict somehow but I can't find where.  Any suggestions?

Many Thanks
    zukie

Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:43 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Could you try to change the version number:
    meaning:
    different folder on start-menu
    same "application name"
    different version-number (put a .003 or smthng..)
    different osd. name
    different 8.3 folder (of course..) for each app

Then what happens?
    /Znack
    • Marked as answer by zukie Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:59 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Can you post the details of both the osd files.

Also check under SHORTCUT Tag, that value of "DISPLAY" property is different and LOCATION is also different.

GNU developer by choice ....
    • Marked as answer by zukie Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:35 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:15 PM
  • Or best compare the 2 OSD with a file compare utility and you will see the conflict. I believe there is nothing wrong in your package and this can be fixed in the OSD directly.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,

can you eloborate on how you differentiate the shortcuts?

How does this conflict present itself?

/Znack
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:45 AM
  • During sequencing I changed the shortcuts to appear in different start menu\program folders.  I also set the osd names to be different to the first package to try and avoid the problem.

zukie
    • Edited by zukie Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:59 AM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:53 AM
  • Hello,

Could you try to change the version number:
    meaning:
    different folder on start-menu
    same "application name"
    different version-number (put a .003 or smthng..)
    different osd. name
    different 8.3 folder (of course..) for each app

Then what happens?
    /Znack
    • Marked as answer by zukie Thursday, April 30, 2009 4:59 PM
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:57 AM
  • Can you post the details of both the osd files.

Also check under SHORTCUT Tag, that value of "DISPLAY" property is different and LOCATION is also different.

GNU developer by choice ....
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:15 PM
  • Or best compare the 2 OSD with a file compare utility and you will see the conflict. I believe there is nothing wrong in your package and this can be fixed in the OSD directly.
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:00 PM

• Thanks Abstruse World windiff was useful on this.  I believe you were right about it being OSD based issue.

I've managed to get the to configs launching independently on the same machine BUT it looks like I have to live with a limitation.  The NAME= has to be unique which seems to affect the name of the shortcut that is displayed.  So I can't have the two shortcuts in different Start Menu\Programs folder locations with the same name.  I have to use a slightly different name on each one.  I tried to use the DISPLAY= to workaround but this did not work.

Many Thanks for the responses.

zukie
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 5:01 PM
  • Hello,

A little side-note.
    Apart from the fact that it has to be a unique 8.3 package-name, I believe that its the NAME and VERSION that in combination has to be unique.

Can someone confirm this?

/Znack
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 11:14 PM
  • Znack, I believe you're right.

I would modify the version by relatiing it to the configuration it is pointing.

EXAMPLE: If one configuration points to a test environment. Then I would have a TEST to the end of the version name in the .osd.

JJ
    Friday, May 1, 2009 11:01 PM
  • In addition to the above, if you are deploying using the dedicated RTSP(/S) servers there are some additional things that must be unique.  This includes the name of the Application -- and therefore OSD -- as well as the name of the icon files.

Beyond those things, the problem described could occur if the applicatin uses areas of the file system and/or registry that are in the exclusion list.
    Saturday, May 2, 2009 2:32 AM
  • Hello,

A little side-note.
    Apart from the fact that it has to be a unique 8.3 package-name, I believe that its the NAME and VERSION that in combination has to be unique.

Can someone confirm this?

/Znack

Right, it's the combination of Name and Version that has to be unique - and the shortcut gets created using the "Name" field. So you could have more then one "Application X" in your environment while they differ in the Version field (version "Production" vs. version "Test" if you like)
    Changing the display name would work once, but as soon as you open and save the package again , the Display Name gets overwritten with the "Name", so thats not usefull.

Also note, that on the user's desktop there has to be a difference. If you'd have "Application X" (Version Prod) and "Application X" (Version Test) and want to publish both to the user's desktop, one is overwriting the other. The only acceptable soution then would be to add the "Prod" and "Test" value to the Name field.

And, as Tim wrote, make sure that the application's OSDs and ICOs don't overwrite each other (for intance by placing them into different subfolders of content).

Hint: Do never change the "VERSION" and/or "NAME" tag in the OSD after zou imported the application into the App-V Management Console. Rather remove it and re-import it again.

Falko
    Monday, May 11, 2009 10:11 AM