DFSR Service Crashing Frequently & Erroneous Sharing Violations RRS feed

• Question

• We've got two 2008 R2 servers with DFS running and one replicated folder.  I've been having trouble with one of them.  The DFSR service seems to be crashing as often as every 20 mintues at which point it begins to do lots of read/write I/O presumably to rebuild the database.  Some times it might go a few hours without crashing.  In any case, it has died 50 times in the last four days.  On the other system, it hasn't crashed once in days.

I also (perhaps unrelated, perhaps not) have received thousands of sharing violation errors.  They don't appear to go away, and any time I manually inspect a file reported as a sharing violation, it has always been replicated already.  I have to clear the event log to get the violations to clear out of the health reports.

Are there any common causes for this?  Is there anything I can try which might alleviate the problem without rebuilding the box entirely?

Thank you for your time.

Addition:

Faulting modules always appear to be DFSRs.exe or ntdll.dll.

Faulting application name: DFSRs.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc447
    Faulting module name: DFSRs.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc447
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x0000000000328d26
    Faulting process id: 0x43b0
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ca6e1d449546b4
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\DFSRs.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\DFSRs.exe
    Report Id: 5815e9a1-da13-11de-8c0c-001517ccf0a1

Faulting application name: DFSRs.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bc447
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5be02b
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000c6cd2
    Faulting process id: 0x4fd8
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ca6e203e4fffc2
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\system32\DFSRs.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 8ea04a2f-da16-11de-8c0c-001517ccf0a1

Wednesday, November 25, 2009 10:53 PM

Answers

• 1. Do you have anti-virus on this box? if so, try disabling it for a while.

2. When the sharing violation occurs, run Process Explorer to reveal what other processes have this file open.

3. If the crash persists, run adplus.vbs in crash mode (from Windows Debugging Tools). It will generate a dump of DFSRs.exe. Publish this dump at your Live Skydrive and let me know. I'll analyze it for you.

Leonardo Fagundes
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, December 28, 2009 3:09 AM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:14 PM

All replies

2. When the sharing violation occurs, run Process Explorer to reveal what other processes have this file open.

3. If the crash persists, run adplus.vbs in crash mode (from Windows Debugging Tools). It will generate a dump of DFSRs.exe. Publish this dump at your Live Skydrive and let me know. I'll analyze it for you.

Leonardo Fagundes
    • Marked as answer by David Shen Monday, December 28, 2009 3:09 AM
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:14 PM

Leonardo Fagundes

No anti-virus on this machine currently.  I do intend to take you up on this offer.  I've been waiting for a good moment to re-instate my replication group (I'd removed it temporarily since the service was being so problematic).  The last time I re-created the group, it helpfully decided to start deleting all of the files on the first server instead of replicating them to the second, so I have to stop all file transactions and make a backup first.

I'll try to post the log for you in a few days.
    Thursday, December 3, 2009 5:05 PM
  • Don't waste your time with this above. There is a hotfix from Microsoft. I have the same exact problem. Will install tonight and see how it goes. Link to Hotfix is here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978538

John

Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:16 PM
  • Said hotfix is applicable to Windows Server 2008 only, apparently. Submitter indicates his issue is with Windows 2008 R2.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:23 PM

Leonardo Fagundes

No anti-virus on this machine currently.  I do intend to take you up on this offer.  I've been waiting for a good moment to re-instate my replication group (I'd removed it temporarily since the service was being so problematic).  The last time I re-created the group, it helpfully decided to start deleting all of the files on the first server instead of replicating them to the second, so I have to stop all file transactions and make a backup first.

I'll try to post the log for you in a few days.
    Might I inquire as to whether there was a successful outcome? I see a similar problem.
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 7:24 PM
  • Anyone found something on this topic. I've the exact same message in my eventviewer... One clusternode is functioning Okay, the other one shows this message  :-(

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 10:13 AM
  • There is a hotfix for Server 2008 R2 also

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979524

Friday, February 11, 2011 3:11 PM
  • The above hotfix worked in my 2008 R2 DFS environment.  However, you can only apply the hotfix if your server has encountered the problem, attempting to install on a node that has not encountered this problem results in a message "The update is not applicable to your computer".  Which seems to be a new restraint in 2008 R2.
    Wednesday, July 27, 2011 11:59 PM