Filter on a list view won't "stick" RRS feed

• Question

• I have a view on a list in which I have set a filter to only show specific items.  Then I needed to change the view to filter the same view on a different column.  The view keeps going back to the old column filter.  Any ideas why and what I should do?

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, April 15, 2011 7:20 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, April 15, 2011 5:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting back.

From your description, here is my suggestion.

For a field, there are SharePoint name (also called internal name) and display name.

When we renamed the “Status” to “Status_OLD”, it’s internal name do not change, which keeps “Status”, (we can check it in the hyperlink “Field=…”).

When we create a new column naming “Status”, we name its display name, some conflicts perhaps occur.

It is not a good idea in this situation to rename an existing field for our operation. We’d better type a different name or delete the old one before creating a new one.

Here is an article about “How SharePoint stores field names”, for more information, please refer to:

http://www.sharepointboris.net/2008/03/how-sharepoint-stores-field-names/

Best Regards,

Lisa

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:37 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, I understand that when modifying a view, There are “And ” and “Or” in Filter settings, and “Or” is default.

When “And” is selected, the view will show items satisfying both column conditions.

When ”Or” is selected, the view will show items satisfying either column condition.

In order to do further research, Could I confirm with you that “change the view to filter the same view on a different column”, do you mean to create a new filter to the list or to add filter to the existed view?

Please let me know the result at your earliest convenience.

Best Regards,

Lisa

Monday, April 18, 2011 3:28 AM
  • Hello Lisa,

For some strange reason, it is working now.  However, to answer your questions, it was the same view and I was just changing the filter.  The site was created using the Fab 40 help desk template.  The "Status" column of the Service Requests lists is a choice column type that is not editable.  We wanted additional choices in the drop list for this column.  So I changed the column title to "Status_OLD", made it a hidden column and created a new column called "Status".  The view filter was based on this Status column  (where Status is not equal to Closed).  The view changed the filter to Status_OLD be itself (I didn't change the filter).  However, I wanted it to filter on the new Status column, so I would change it to Status, save, and check the results.  It wasn't changing.  I would go back in and look at the filter and it would be back to Status_OLD.  I did this a few times and gave up for the day.  Went back to it a couple days later and it was set to Status!  It's almost like it was caching the old filter value.  Is that possible?

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you're are trying to accomplish.
    Monday, April 18, 2011 3:15 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting back.

From your description, here is my suggestion.

For a field, there are SharePoint name (also called internal name) and display name.

When we renamed the “Status” to “Status_OLD”, it’s internal name do not change, which keeps “Status”, (we can check it in the hyperlink “Field=…”).

When we create a new column naming “Status”, we name its display name, some conflicts perhaps occur.

It is not a good idea in this situation to rename an existing field for our operation. We’d better type a different name or delete the old one before creating a new one.

Here is an article about “How SharePoint stores field names”, for more information, please refer to:

http://www.sharepointboris.net/2008/03/how-sharepoint-stores-field-names/

Best Regards,

Lisa

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Tuesday, April 26, 2011 9:37 AM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:10 AM