none
Highlighting important tasks RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, is it possible to highlight the background of some important tasks in another color?

Of, if I want to draw a big rectangle to circle all the important tasks inside, is it able to draw a rectangle across the task bars and the columns?

Thanks!

Monday, August 11, 2014 9:08 AM

Answers

• Superhayan --

If it were me, I would address you situation in an entirely different manner.  Although you can draw graphical images and shapes in the Gantt Chart pane of the Gantt Chart view, you CANNOT draw them on the Task Sheet side of the Gantt Chart view (the list of tasks on the left).  So, what I would do personally would be the following:

1. Temporarily insert the Marked column in the Gantt Chart view.
    2. Set the Marked value to Yes for every important task.  In doing this, you distinguish important tasks from the non-important tasks, using the Marked field as the way to distinguish between the two.
    3. Click the Format tab to display the Format ribbon.
    4. In the Format section of the Format ribbon, click the Text Styles button.
    5. At the top of the Text Styles dialog, click the Item to Change pick list and select the Marked Tasks item.
    6. Click the Background Color pick list and select the cell background color that you want to use to indicate important tasks in your project.  For example, you might pick a medium green color, or something like that
    7. If the background color you choose is dark, then click the Color pick list and change the color to White so that the text stands out against the cell background coloring.
    8. Click the OK button.

Microsoft Project will now automatically change the cell background color of every task in which you set the Marked value to Yes.  If you want to change the color of the Gantt bars for important tasks automatically, complete the following additional steps:

1. Double-click anywhere in the white part of the Gantt Chart pane.
    2. Scroll to the bottom of the list of items in the Bar Styles dialog.
    3. Add a new item called Important Tasks.
    4. In the Appearance column, set up the bar appearance the way you want, including using the same color used in the first set of steps.
    5. In the Show For... Tasks column, select the Marked item.
    6. Click the OK button.

Microsoft Project will now automatically format the Gantt bars with the same color as the cell background color used for important tasks.  Whenever you need to mark additional important tasks, change the Marked value to Yes.  To make an important task un-important, set the Marked value to No for that task.  The colors will change automatically when you do this for the affected tasks.  This is how I would handle your situation, if needed.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, August 11, 2014 8:12 PM
  • Superhayan --

If you already manually applied cell background formatting to individual task cells or entire task rows, then the Text Styles formatting will NOT overwrite the manual formatting.  Would that explain what is happening in your project?  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, August 14, 2014 11:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

First of all, are you talking about MS Project Pro or PWA? And which version?

Then do you want to highlight the task name in the task list (left part) or in the Gantt chart (right part)?

Note that you can insert circles or rectangles from the format tab, drawings section and attach the drawing to a particular task:

You can also highlight the task row from the font section of the task tab:

Finally, you can use the timeline to have a graphical view of key phases and/or milestones.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, August 11, 2014 12:14 PM
  • Superhayan --

If it were me, I would address you situation in an entirely different manner.  Although you can draw graphical images and shapes in the Gantt Chart pane of the Gantt Chart view, you CANNOT draw them on the Task Sheet side of the Gantt Chart view (the list of tasks on the left).  So, what I would do personally would be the following:

1. Temporarily insert the Marked column in the Gantt Chart view.
    2. Set the Marked value to Yes for every important task.  In doing this, you distinguish important tasks from the non-important tasks, using the Marked field as the way to distinguish between the two.
    3. Click the Format tab to display the Format ribbon.
    4. In the Format section of the Format ribbon, click the Text Styles button.
    5. At the top of the Text Styles dialog, click the Item to Change pick list and select the Marked Tasks item.
    6. Click the Background Color pick list and select the cell background color that you want to use to indicate important tasks in your project.  For example, you might pick a medium green color, or something like that
    7. If the background color you choose is dark, then click the Color pick list and change the color to White so that the text stands out against the cell background coloring.
    8. Click the OK button.

Microsoft Project will now automatically change the cell background color of every task in which you set the Marked value to Yes.  If you want to change the color of the Gantt bars for important tasks automatically, complete the following additional steps:

1. Double-click anywhere in the white part of the Gantt Chart pane.
    2. Scroll to the bottom of the list of items in the Bar Styles dialog.
    3. Add a new item called Important Tasks.
    4. In the Appearance column, set up the bar appearance the way you want, including using the same color used in the first set of steps.
    5. In the Show For... Tasks column, select the Marked item.
    6. Click the OK button.

Microsoft Project will now automatically format the Gantt bars with the same color as the cell background color used for important tasks.  Whenever you need to mark additional important tasks, change the Marked value to Yes.  To make an important task un-important, set the Marked value to No for that task.  The colors will change automatically when you do this for the affected tasks.  This is how I would handle your situation, if needed.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, August 11, 2014 8:12 PM
  • Hi Howard,<o:p></o:p>

Thanks very much for your detailed answer.<o:p></o:p>

I followed everything you said and I successfully turned most of
    the cells marked "Yes" to another color. Yet, for some tasks that I
    have marked "Yes", not the whole row turns to another color. The task
    name, Start and End date remain white. Do you know what is the reason behind?

Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:26 AM
  • Superhayan --

If you already manually applied cell background formatting to individual task cells or entire task rows, then the Text Styles formatting will NOT overwrite the manual formatting.  Would that explain what is happening in your project?  Let us know and we will try to help you.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, August 14, 2014 11:30 AM