none
Unable to receive mail in Exchange 2013/OWA

    Question

  • Hi all.

    I'm fairly new to Exchange Server, so do forgive me if this is an extremely stupid/simple question.

    I've set up a copy of Exchange 2013 on Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter (a clean install, may I add) I am able to send messages externally from OWA, but am unable to receive any responses.

    I have run the Connectivity Tester in the Exchange Toolbox, which reports the following error on Inbound SMTP

    The server returned status code 451 - Error in processing. The server response was: 4.7.0 Temporary server error. Please try again later. PRX2 
    Exception details:
    Message: Error in processing. The server response was: 4.7.0 Temporary server error. Please try again later. PRX2 
    Type: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException
    Stack trace:
     at System.Net.Mail.DataStopCommand.CheckResponse(SmtpStatusCode statusCode, String serverResponse)
     at System.Net.Mail.DataStopCommand.Send(SmtpConnection conn)
     at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)
     at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.SmtpMessageTest.PerformTestReally()
    
    
    Elapsed Time: 2164 ms. 

    The other issue I'm having with Exchange is that outgoing email is VERY slow to leave the drafts folder (can take upwards of 10 minutes sometimes for a simple "test" email).

    What am I doing wrong? Do I need to open up any ports in the firewall? I've tried opening the standard mail ports before now, but nothing changed.

    Thanks in advance;

    Toby

    Sunday, February 28, 2016 1:11 PM

Answers

  • Now resolved.

    The solution, in case anybody else has the same problem, was the fact that I had a primary and a secondary DNS specified (primary DNS was my DC, secondary was 8.8.8.8). Removing 8.8.8.8 allowed mail to be received as expected.

    • Marked as answer by Toby S 96 Sunday, February 28, 2016 1:58 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2016 1:58 PM

All replies

  • If it helps, a bit of insight into my network:

    I'm running two servers:

    The first is the Domain Controller, running Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard

    The second is the Exchange Server, running Windows Server 2012 R2 Datacenter

    Both are assigned static internal IP addresses.

    Sunday, February 28, 2016 1:15 PM
  • Now resolved.

    The solution, in case anybody else has the same problem, was the fact that I had a primary and a secondary DNS specified (primary DNS was my DC, secondary was 8.8.8.8). Removing 8.8.8.8 allowed mail to be received as expected.

    • Marked as answer by Toby S 96 Sunday, February 28, 2016 1:58 PM
    Sunday, February 28, 2016 1:58 PM