External Hard Drive Suddenly Disappeared From List RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys. About a week ago, a weird msg started popping up about my external (F:) hard drive, after which nothing inside of it would show up anymore.

If I clicked on a folder, there'd be nothing in it. Then if I unplugged, and re-plugged, it would all be back like nothing happened. 

Yesterday, the D: drive disappeared from the population list in My Computer altogether, and no matter what I do it doesn't return. I've only tried plugging into different ports and restarting, but that's all I know how to do. I was going to system restore and see if that helped, but this message came up on the screen:

"Changes made to drive(s) D: after this point cannot be reversed because the drive was either excluded from system restore monitoring, or was turned off or removed"

I have no idea what to do. Literally everything is on that drive. Any suggestions? And thanks in advance for any help, it'd be appreciated.

Friday, October 10, 2014 5:13 AM

All replies

• Problably the drive or its controller failed. First check if the drive works on anotehr computer.

It depends on the nature of the failure what you can try. If only the usb controller logic is damaged, you can probably salvage the disk from the enclosuer and conenct it to you computer directly (or using some other usb adapter). If thee harddrive itself has become damaged, you will probably not be able to rescue the data that' stored on it.

lesson learned: always have a backup!

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

• Edited by SenneVL Friday, October 10, 2014 6:22 AM
    Friday, October 10, 2014 6:22 AM
  • Just tried it on another computer and the drive didn't show up there either. 

Its a Seagate FreeAgent Desktop harddrive. 

What can I do?

Friday, October 10, 2014 10:40 PM