Client Logon Monitoring RRS feed

• Question

• We are starting to pull Domain Controllers (Server 2003) from some of our remote offices.  This will force the client systems in those offices to authiticate with the DC's in our Data Center.  We want to determine what the performance impact is on doing this at those sites. 

So my question is what is the best way to monitor this with SCOM?
    Tuesday, July 7, 2009 10:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• You should see that in both reports and performance views. If it is a DC it would be intresting to look at the views and reports in the base OS MP and the AD MP.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 7:46 AM
  • Since I'm just learning SCOM I'm not sure best course of action to do the monitoring.  I'm assuming we would want to setup monitoring for the clients.  Get some stats on logon performance.  Once the DC's been demoted run the stats again to determine the impact.  I've found so many
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:53 PM
  • I've found so many management packs I'm not even sure which one is the one I would want to install to do this monitoring.

Rick
    Wednesday, July 8, 2009 2:54 PM
  • Wednesday, July 8, 2009 10:26 PM
  • Hi Rick,

After importing the MPs as Anders mentioned, you can find Microsoft Windows Active Directory and Microsoft Windows client in your SCOM console - Monitoring space.

You can expand it and will see detail information about alerts performance data, events and state.

Also, if you want to enable more monitors, you can go to Authoring space, click "Management Pack Objects" - "Monitors", click "Change Scopes", then choose all AD related target, and the corresponding monitors will be list, you can enable the monitor which you need.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 8:39 AM
  • Great!  Many thanks.  I'll start this today and see if I can gather the information we need.
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 2:43 PM
  • What monitor(s) would you suggest?  We are trying to determine the client logon performance of a remote site before and after we demote the local AD controller.  Which monitor will give us the AD logon performance of the remote clients?  In otherwords what will show us the time it takes for a client to logon to AD?

Thanks Again

Monday, July 20, 2009 10:30 PM
  • Take a look in the AD MP guide, there is a part about client-side monitoring. That is a way to measure how a end user experiance your AD.
    Anders Bengtsson | Microsoft MVP - Operations Manager | http://www.contoso.se
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 11:22 AM
  • I can't find the scom 2007 ad mp guide.  Only the 2005 verion.  Do you know where I can find it?

Thanks

Rick

Tuesday, July 21, 2009 7:38 PM