Imaging Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Morning ladies and gents,

I'll lay out my problems and hopefully someone here can help.  Basically I take a prebuilt basic image of 7/2008 SP2 with GPO's already applied, some general apps installed, and I add a bunch of custom apps, and Oracle database, update Windows, etc.  Once everything is ready to go I snapshot the VM one last time (this is all done in VSphere), sysprep the machine, reboot into PE, and capture the image using IMAGEX.  Everything works fine up to this point and is working just like it did in XP/2003.  I import the wim into MDT, create a standard TS, create new media, all like normal.

The problem comes when I deploy the image I just made.  It gets to Starting Services and then says the PC needs to reboot and gets stuck in a reboot loop.  If I take the VM and let it reboot normally after the sysprep it works fine, so I know the sysprep and unattend went fine.  Something, in MDT is causing the issue and I can't narrow it down.  ANy help would be appreciated.  The Panther logs have been of little help so far.

My initial thoughts are that MDT applying unattend to the image when I have already sysprep unattended it is breaking something, and if I could stop MDT doing that since I don't need it that would be great.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:06 PM

All replies

• The actual error message is "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error.  Windows installation cannot proceed.  To install Windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation."  This happens over and over again.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 2:04 PM
  • Check to see what drivers are being loaded by MDT and in your image.

Are you loading the *same* drivers into your image that are being deployed by MDT?

Otherwise, I don't have this problem with my images and Hyper-V

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:45 PM
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 6:45 PM
  • There are no drivers going into the baseline (other than VMware tools) and none in MDT.  I created a brand new Deployment Share to eliminate that possibility.
    Wednesday, October 23, 2013 11:11 PM
  • Then I don't see how MDT could have been the culprit here.

you need to dig down and investigate why the machine is rebooting. If the Panther logs don't show anything, check the event logs. Something...

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:35 AM
  • The reason I suspect MDT is because after sysprepping if I let the machine reboot it works fine.  Once I sysprep, reboot, capture, import into MDT, and then deploy it goes wonky.
    Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:21 PM
  • The only diffrence is if you import the OS it will create a new unattended.xml and populate this on the fly as you deploy with MDT (it has nothing to do with reboot in to winPE and capture) and in this sequence it will try do insert new drivers (if you have extracted the drivers from vmWare tools or maybe have other storage drivers that makes some sort of conflict)

I whould put my 2c in that this is causing your problem.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 31, 2013 10:17 AM
  • The only "drivers" that are installed are the VMware Tools drivers installed when I first boot before I do any updates to the OS.  I have tried starting from a completely new DepShare with no drivers at all, so it has nothing to import.
    Friday, November 1, 2013 9:40 PM
  • In that case one of the applications or services dosent like to be "sysprepped".

I whould try to uninstall the wmWare Tools Before sysprep and add the drivers to MDT.

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, November 7, 2013 9:49 AM
  • In that case one of the applications or services dosent like to be "sysprepped".

I whould try to uninstall the wmWare Tools Before sysprep and add the drivers to MDT.

If that was the case, why does the same PC come up fine after sysprep?  The problems only occur once the wim has been loaded into MDT and then deployed.
    Tuesday, November 12, 2013 6:43 PM