memory issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have windows 7 pro and I recently purchased 64 gb of ram but my computer still states only 32gb usable. I'm told its a licence issue but also windows 7 pro is supposed to support 192Gb.. I have already gone boot options advanced and made sure the maximum memory box is checked.  I don't know what else to do.
    Saturday, July 18, 2015 9:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Ninja,

Thank you for your question.

What is memory size before we add it ? 32GB?

In addition, computer should be shut down and restart after we make sure “Max memory” is unchecked.

Then, we could check memory in BIOS to check if it is 64GB.

If the memory is 32GB in the former, we could try to use another memory and replace 64GB to check if the memory was recognized or issue about DIMM(Dual Inline Memory Module), also change another DIMM to check if the issue persist. We could clean on connecting finger of memory by eraser.

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know.

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 20, 2015 9:20 AM
  • I have windows 7 pro and I recently purchased 64 gb of ram but my computer still states only 32gb usable. I'm told its a licence issue but also windows 7 pro is supposed to support 192Gb.. I have already gone boot options advanced and made sure the maximum memory box is checked.  I don't know what else to do.

Please provide the exact make, model, and series of your system/motherboard.

There are lot of motherboards that only support 32GB.  It's the way the manufacturer configures the circuitry and the UEFI/BIOS that determines the maximum memory the motherboard will support.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, July 20, 2015 10:32 AM

All replies

• i meant the box is not checked

Saturday, July 18, 2015 9:37 PM
  • 1-For max memory to be used it needs to be UNCHECKED in msconfig.sys

2-What is the mobo specs and ram config?

3-Its not a licensing issue

More info nec.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Saturday, July 18, 2015 10:21 PM
  • Hi Ninja,

Thank you for your question.

What is memory size before we add it ? 32GB?

In addition, computer should be shut down and restart after we make sure “Max memory” is unchecked.

Then, we could check memory in BIOS to check if it is 64GB.

If the memory is 32GB in the former, we could try to use another memory and replace 64GB to check if the memory was recognized or issue about DIMM(Dual Inline Memory Module), also change another DIMM to check if the issue persist. We could clean on connecting finger of memory by eraser.

If there are any questions regarding this issue, please be free to let me know.

Best Regard,

Jim

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, July 20, 2015 9:20 AM

Please provide the exact make, model, and series of your system/motherboard.

There are lot of motherboards that only support 32GB.  It's the way the manufacturer configures the circuitry and the UEFI/BIOS that determines the maximum memory the motherboard will support.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Monday, July 20, 2015 10:32 AM