How can I add a Column with serial numbers in a SharePoint List? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SharePoint list (SharePoint 2007)  and I want to number all items inthat list. Is there an existing column field I can use that automatically numbers them? Currently I created a number column and am manually entering numbers in that. I'd rather have this done automatically.

-Ravi Acharya

Ravi Acharya
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:19 PM asks about standard field (which no doubt is the ID field ...) so it's not a customization question (From:SharePoint - Design and Customization (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 6:45 PM

Answers

• Yes, we can create automatic number column. For that we have to create a new Calculated column, there we have to add existing field or static texts.

On calculated column, we have to add the formula. On that formula we can also use existing fields,

for ex,

=[Title]&[ID] on Formula section in Calculated field settings page. The value wasTitle1, if the Title field is Title and ID field is 1.

Regards,
    Shantha Kumar .T | MCPD - SharePoint Developer 2010 | MCITP - SharePoint Administrator 2010 |
    (B) Shantha Kumar's Blog | (T)Follow me | (C) IOTAP
    • Marked as answer by Raviach Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:34 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:31 PM

All replies

• Yes, we can create automatic number column. For that we have to create a new Calculated column, there we have to add existing field or static texts.

On calculated column, we have to add the formula. On that formula we can also use existing fields,

for ex,

=[Title]&[ID] on Formula section in Calculated field settings page. The value wasTitle1, if the Title field is Title and ID field is 1.

Regards,
    Shantha Kumar .T | MCPD - SharePoint Developer 2010 | MCITP - SharePoint Administrator 2010 |
    (B) Shantha Kumar's Blog | (T)Follow me | (C) IOTAP
    • Marked as answer by Raviach Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:34 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 7:31 PM
  • Thanks for the response Shantha. I realized that the answer was just to use the ID field and display it. Apparently I had hidden that column and as soon as I displayed it, I got what I wanted. However, it was nice to see the option of using calculated columns with the appending method that you gave. I will use that for other things. Thanks!

-Ravi

Ravi Acharya
    • Marked as answer by Raviach Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:36 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, April 13, 2011 6:12 AM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2011 10:36 PM