Cannot use windows in normal mode with my graphics drivers installed RRS feed

• Question

• Hi
    Everytime I load up my dirvers for my video card windows will not load as it usually does. I have to disable the driver sofware for my video card (msi mx8400GS: TD512EH) i have tried latest drivers (emailed to my by MSI) but windows will try to load up and then go bluescreen and the error details that I get are as follows:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name:                        BlueScreen

OS Version:                                          6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3

Locale ID:                                             3081

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode:                                               116

BCP1:                                                    FFFFFA8005365010

BCP2:                                                    FFFFFA60024202F0

BCP3:                                                    0000000000000000

BCP4:                                                    0000000000000002

OS Version:                                          6_0_6001

Service Pack:                                       1_0

Product:                                               768_1

Files that help describe the problem:

C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini062909-06.dmp

C:\Users\Aaron\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-83000-0.sysdata.xml

C:\Users\Aaron\AppData\Local\Temp\WER467A.tmp.version.txt

Everything was fine before the 29th June and then all of a sudden it stared doing this. Is this a software issue or is my video card faulty (only a month old!)

Sunday, July 5, 2009 12:08 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in Microsoft TechNet Forum.

Please understand that blue screen is mainly occurred in the kernel, to troubleshoot this kind of issue, we may need to debug the crashed system dump and analyze the related source code if needed. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. Here I would like to provide some common troubleshooting, if the issue persists, I may need to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS  

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

To move on, we can perform the following steps in advance.

1.    Disable all device drivers and perform a clean boot, then manually uninstall the display driver and reinstall the latest one.

Clean boot

==========

1)     Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2)     Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3)     Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Please test this issue in the Clean Boot environment, if the issue disappears in the Clean Boot environment, we can use a 50/50 approach to quickly narrow down which entry is causing the issue.

2.    I noticed that the computer worked fine before 29th June, therefore, I recommend that you boot in Safe Mode to perform a System Restore.

System Restore

==========

1)     Please click on Start and choose All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then Windows Backup.

2)     Click Restore on the left pane.

3)     Choose Basic Restore.

4)     Follow the wizard and click Next.

5)     If you would like to restore everything in the backup, we can check the box “Restore everything in this backup” on the top of the window.

6)     We can also browse and choose certain files and folders to restore. Then, click Next.

7)     Then choose the folder to save the recovered files and click Next.

8)     When we see a “Restore is complete!” message, click Finish.

3.    Enter Windows RE to do a System Recovery.

1)     Please insert the Windows Vista DVD and reboot the computer.

2)     When we are prompted to press a key to boot from the DVD, please press Enter or the space bar.

3)     Click "Next" and click "Repair your computer".

4)     Please highlight "Windows Vista" and click "Next".

5)     In the dialog box titled "System Recovery Options", click "Command Prompt" and type in the following commands. Please press the Enter key after entering the following command.

CHKDSK C: /R

6)     Click Y and then check if the system is able to check the hard disk.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009 4:58 AM