none
Using Team Planner Only! RRS feed

• Question

• I'm a new user, and very excitedly just discovered the Team Planner function in 2010. Now this is added in it could potentially help me replace a manual system on whiteboards with an online system that my team can access remotely. My problem is that I don't know how to do it, but I'm firly certain it's gonna be quite simple and I'm being a bit thick.

I run a company that supplies an on site service (asbestos removal) to the construction industry. For the purposes of this I don't need more than one task per project, that task will just be 'decontamination work'. I have many projects on the go at any one time, most of which are very small (maybe a day up to 2 weeks duration for between 1 and 10 workers). I have a set pool of labour resource. My job board, that I am trying to recreate, is a list of names down the left hand side and then a calender with the job initials against a day. This gives me a really useful resource so I can see at a glance on any day where my people are supposed to be and I can see any gaps where they have no work that day.

To complicate it I quite often have to switch a person from one job to another job for a day or so in the middle. So Person1 might be against ProjectA for two days then ProjectB for one day then Project A for three days.

I'd like to have a display of day shift and night shift (I sometimes have someone on both - don't ask!) and sometimes 7 day working.

My question is, what is the best way to set this up so a non expert can run it? I've been playing around tonight trying to get it to work by using the 'Task' as the job name, but I keep tripping myself up. But I don't want to have to put in each job as a different project really, and I want to see my whole labour resource on one chart which is why I headed down that path.

Any advice would be very gratefully received, I'm getting very frustrated with my lack of MSProject knowledge.

Monday, January 16, 2012 10:45 PM

Answers

• You could do it quite simple by forgetting the Timeline and setup your schedule the way many people do it when planning for lead-in times (procurement) or different work packages, i.e. use the feature of roll-up the sub tasks to the summary bar and hide the summary bar itself.

In your case it will be the name of your resources as the different summary bars and below each summary bar you have all the individual projects (as sub tasks) each resource is working on. You now have full control of start, finish, duration, night shift or not, calendars, etc. for each project under each resource (summary task).

You can then format bars in different colors when rolled up to the summary bar and you can add the project name inside the bars or similar - your choice. The print out will just be all the summary task and you basically have what you're looking for.

Regards,

BJ 

Thanks for your help BJ - judging by how little I understand of your answer I have reasoned that I have to identify a ground floor up online training package and make the time to follow it.

Cheers again.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:30 AM

All replies

• Effective use of Project requires expert use, so don't let non-experts change anything in Project, use it as a reporting tool only. Basically stay with your whiteboard until it cant do what you want, then use Excel until it cant do what you want and only then move to project.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 4:13 AM
  • You could do it quite simple by forgetting the Timeline and setup your schedule the way many people do it when planning for lead-in times (procurement) or different work packages, i.e. use the feature of roll-up the sub tasks to the summary bar and hide the summary bar itself.

In your case it will be the name of your resources as the different summary bars and below each summary bar you have all the individual projects (as sub tasks) each resource is working on. You now have full control of start, finish, duration, night shift or not, calendars, etc. for each project under each resource (summary task).

You can then format bars in different colors when rolled up to the summary bar and you can add the project name inside the bars or similar - your choice. The print out will just be all the summary task and you basically have what you're looking for.

Regards,

BJ 

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Thanks for the input Rod. The whiteboard already cant'd do what I want, which is give members of my team remote access to it. Thought about going down the Excel route but Project seems to be a better tool that I can add to. I suppose I'm looking at it as a resource planner rather than a project management system.
    Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:27 AM

Regards,

BJ 

Thanks for your help BJ - judging by how little I understand of your answer I have reasoned that I have to identify a ground floor up online training package and make the time to follow it.

Cheers again.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 10:30 AM