Clear font format when Microsoft Word opened. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

How can I clear font format automatically when a .docx or .doc file opened? For example, My .docx or .doc file font is "Tahoma" but I want it converted to "Arial" automatically when I open my file.

Thank you.

Saturday, February 3, 2018 5:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm afraid there is no build-in option available in Word to automatically convert font format. You may refer to the following article to simply use styles or use a macro:

https://word.tips.net/T001516_Quickly_Formatting_Multiple_Documents.html

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Since we are not the best resource for coding, if need further assistance regarding the macro, you can post a new question to the Word for Developers forum to get further assistance:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=worddev

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, February 6, 2018 1:35 AM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 7:06 AM
  • You could have a macro that does this, replacing all formatting in one font with another. If the document is (properly) formatted using styles, it is likely that a single modification of a style might do it.

This seems like a simple question, but Word is far from simple in how it assigns font settings. They can be direct formatting, set in styles (character or paragraph) or part of a Theme. They can be in the document defaults. In addition, most word documents have different stories and layers that can contain text. People often use these without even being aware that they have done so. To be thorough, any macro would need to take into account all of these possibilities.

If you don't want it to be automatic, you can simply use Ctrl+A to select all text in the body layer of the document and set the font you want. This will not reach headers/footers, footnotes, or text boxes. This method may cover 90% of your occurrences.

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Tuesday, February 6, 2018 1:35 AM
    • Edited by Charles Kenyon Tuesday, February 6, 2018 2:30 PM
    Monday, February 5, 2018 8:47 PM
  • Hello,

Any update here? Is this issue resolved now?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, February 9, 2018 9:15 AM
  • Hello,

Any update here? Is this issue resolved now?

Regards,
    Steve Fan

Thus, It is not possible?
    Sunday, March 4, 2018 8:43 AM
  • If your document is based on a template that is accessible to the document (the default template is Normal.dotm) and you have used Styles correctly, you could check the 'Automatically update document styles' option under Developer|Document Template>Templates. If you modify the template's Styles to use a given font (e.g. Arial), any corresponding Styles in the opened document will automatically apply the designated font to those Styles. Styles used in the document but not found in the template will not be affected; neither may Styles whose definitions have been overridden with direct formatting.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Edited by macropodMVP Monday, March 5, 2018 12:32 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Monday, March 5, 2018 9:59 AM
    Monday, March 5, 2018 12:32 AM