Recover windows vista to new hdd RRS feed

• Question

• hi..i need to know howntonrecover my windows vista on to a new a hdd. my original hd is going nuts and i dont know how to remove it and install anew one on my new lzptop hdd. as well i need to know how i can be able to inxtall all my drives again.

thank u

Sunday, December 15, 2013 5:51 PM

Answers

• hi..i need to know howntonrecover my windows vista on to a new a hdd. my original hd is going nuts 

It depends to a large extend what exactly "going nuts" means.

• If the disk is still fully readable then you can transfer Windows to a new disk using a cloning program such as Acronis TrueImage.
    • If you have read errors then you probably need to re-install Windows on the new disk, then restore your personal files from your external backup device.
    • If you are a member of the large group who does not believe in regular backups then you can try and connect the "nutty" disk to some other machine and retrieve whatever files you can.
    • Proposed as answer by Karen Hu Tuesday, December 17, 2013 1:07 PM
    • Marked as answer by Karen Hu Monday, December 23, 2013 7:04 AM
    Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:25 PM
  • This is a Windows 7 forum and I have absolutely no experience with Vista, but I would think the information below might help:

Windows 7 Backup can be used if you use the option to make an image of your current HDD along with a Recovery CD to boot from.  The image can be restored to a HDD that is at least the same size, or larger, as the original by booting from the Restore CD, and having access to the image created by Windows 7 Backup.

The Windows Vista forums are found @ Windows Vista IT Pro

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:16 PM

All replies

• hi..i need to know howntonrecover my windows vista on to a new a hdd. my original hd is going nuts 

It depends to a large extend what exactly "going nuts" means.

• If the disk is still fully readable then you can transfer Windows to a new disk using a cloning program such as Acronis TrueImage.
    • If you have read errors then you probably need to re-install Windows on the new disk, then restore your personal files from your external backup device.
    • If you are a member of the large group who does not believe in regular backups then you can try and connect the "nutty" disk to some other machine and retrieve whatever files you can.
    Sunday, December 15, 2013 6:25 PM
  • This is a Windows 7 forum and I have absolutely no experience with Vista, but I would think the information below might help:

Windows 7 Backup can be used if you use the option to make an image of your current HDD along with a Recovery CD to boot from.  The image can be restored to a HDD that is at least the same size, or larger, as the original by booting from the Restore CD, and having access to the image created by Windows 7 Backup.

The Windows Vista forums are found @ Windows Vista IT Pro

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Sunday, December 15, 2013 8:16 PM