Migration to another domain RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    Is there any available or known method, or set of steps to migrate the PAS and PDS environment from one domain to another, i mean, i'm migrating from a 64-bit Windows Server 2003 machine to a different machine with the exact same hardware and software (the SQL instance name may also differ between the two machines) but in another domain.
    DOMAIN_1\Machine_1 (SQL Instance A) -> DOMAIN_2\Machine_2 (SQL Instance B)

I apreciate a quick response on this matter,

JULIO ACONCHA

Monday, December 10, 2007 9:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Julio,

The following is a summary of the case you opened with Microsoft for migrating the PAS and PDS databases to a different domain/forest.  Migrating the SQL database for PAS is textbook backup/restore.  After restoring the database to the new server you installed ProClarity to point to the restored database during install.  With the SSAS server name/instance changing the current views in the ProClarity database repository needed to be updated.  The ProClarity Analytics Administration tool has an option to 'update connection information' on the library and briefing book level.  Using this you can update the SSAS server name, instance name, database name, and cube name for the views contained in the books/libraries to point them to the new SSAS server.  One thing we learned during the case was before moving the database you need to add to 'Everyone' group to the Administrator role in PAS.  The SID for this group account is the same in every domain which ensures your user account will be able to access Analytics Admin tool once installed on the new server.

The dashboard database can be migrated and if the PAS views the dashboard points to are repaired then the dashboard links to those views should remain intact.  If a view is re-published or moved to a different briefing book, the dashboard link to it will be broken.  The dashboard user groups will need to be re-created with the new domain SID's.  If configuring the dashboard for windows integrated authentication you will need to re-create the security structure and providers.  You'll also need to make some manual changes to the dashboard database to change the server name to the new machine (script).

Moving 'my views' or 'my items' was not a part of this case, however migrating those things requires additional steps.  Shared items are migrated along with the PAS database.  For others who are migrating PAS/PDS to a different domain/forest, the recommendation is to test the migration in a development environment first.

Best Regards,

Sean Flanagan

Friday, December 14, 2007 3:51 PM

All replies

• I understand you've opened a case for this.  I've chatted with the engineer working on the case and he'll post a summary when the case is completed.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 11:08 PM
  • Hi Julio,

The following is a summary of the case you opened with Microsoft for migrating the PAS and PDS databases to a different domain/forest.  Migrating the SQL database for PAS is textbook backup/restore.  After restoring the database to the new server you installed ProClarity to point to the restored database during install.  With the SSAS server name/instance changing the current views in the ProClarity database repository needed to be updated.  The ProClarity Analytics Administration tool has an option to 'update connection information' on the library and briefing book level.  Using this you can update the SSAS server name, instance name, database name, and cube name for the views contained in the books/libraries to point them to the new SSAS server.  One thing we learned during the case was before moving the database you need to add to 'Everyone' group to the Administrator role in PAS.  The SID for this group account is the same in every domain which ensures your user account will be able to access Analytics Admin tool once installed on the new server.

The dashboard database can be migrated and if the PAS views the dashboard points to are repaired then the dashboard links to those views should remain intact.  If a view is re-published or moved to a different briefing book, the dashboard link to it will be broken.  The dashboard user groups will need to be re-created with the new domain SID's.  If configuring the dashboard for windows integrated authentication you will need to re-create the security structure and providers.  You'll also need to make some manual changes to the dashboard database to change the server name to the new machine (script).

Moving 'my views' or 'my items' was not a part of this case, however migrating those things requires additional steps.  Shared items are migrated along with the PAS database.  For others who are migrating PAS/PDS to a different domain/forest, the recommendation is to test the migration in a development environment first.

Best Regards,

Sean Flanagan

Friday, December 14, 2007 3:51 PM