none
Sharepoint 2010 sp1 June cu Database not appearing in DPM 2010 when selecting Group members to backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SharePoint 2010 farm sp1 june cu that is also running Project server 2010 sp1 june cu.  My DPM 2010 backup are running fine however I recently discovered that the site collection for my project server PWA site is not included in the DPM backup.  Looking further I noticed that the entire database is not included in the backup or listed as an option when I try to recreate the protection group.  I know project server backups are not supported in DPM but I have other Project Server site collections on different database that are being backup in DPM.  At this point I am not looking for DPM to be able to recover the project 4 project server database but I do not understand why it does not show the database for site collection but it does show them for other database hosting other PWA sites.

Any suggestions on how to get DPM to see the missing Sharepoint database?  I have deleted and created the protection group a few times with no change.  Protection and restores of all other site collections on the farm are available and work.  All but this one.  There are no errors in the server event log

Also the same DPM 2010 Server is able to backup the missing database in a seperate protection group backing us the SQL database used by sharepoint.  (I am backing up the data twice once using the DPM sharepoint backup and once using the DPM SQL backup running off of the same DPM server.)

James

• Edited by jbabe3909 Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:39 AM
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 4:29 AM

All replies

• Hi Jabe3909,

That doesn't sound right. Once DPM protects a database using SP protection it should not be available to select under SQL protection. That database would be greyed out. You could try removing all the protection and re-installing the agent and then check to see if the database shows up properly.Maybe that will fix the issues you are seeing after the SP 2010 SP1 June CU.

HTH

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:13 AM
  • Hi

Reinstalling the agent will not help in resolving the issue. Can you run vshadow -wm2 and in the output check what databases are getting reporteed under the sharepoint writer?

Only those databases reported by the sharepoint writer will be backed up by DPM. From the issue described by you, it seems to me that there are some site collections from the project server and the normal sharepoint content getting collocated on the same database. I dont know if sharepoint allows that to happen, but this is the only possible explanation for the observed behavior.

Also it is true that once the databases are protected as sharepoint in DPM, its not possible to select the databases again for protection under SQL Server in DPM.

Thanks

Roopesh

Thanks Roopesh [This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.] [P.S. If the post answers your question or guides you about what you're looking for, please mark it as answered.]
    Monday, October 17, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Hi James are you still having the issue?
    My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Thursday, November 17, 2011 6:48 AM