none
Moving From Exchange 2010 into Exchange 2019 RRS feed

• Question

• Guys,

I have an SBS2011 with Exchange 2010 and I've built a new Windows Server 2019 VM. How can I move the mailboxes from the old server into the new one? All article I've read talks about upgrading in place and I couldn't find any regarding moving from one server with one OS into another OS version?

What is the easiest way of doing this? Thanks

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 4:47 PM

Answers

• Hi,

No inplace upgrade available for Exchange.

Build new Exchange 2016 with new databases and then move mailboxes to exchange 2016.

After that remove Exchange 2010 and build Exchange 2019 with new databases.

Move mailboxes to Exchange 2019.

Mailbox Move:-

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/architecture/mailbox-servers/manage-mailbox-moves?view=exchserver-2019

Exchange deployment Assistant will help you in this migration and a proper planning is require.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/exchange-deployment-assistant?view=exchserver-2019

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”

Note:- Please remember to vote and mark the replies as answers if they help.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by sync_master Thursday, March 28, 2019 1:53 PM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2019 7:20 PM
  • Hi sync_master,

No, you cannot import AD account from old AD to new AD, because there may have issue occur when you try to match AD account to mailbox. When you create a new DC, it will sync AD users automatically.

You should take steps below to update sbs2011 to Exchange 2019:

1. Migrate a small organization from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

2. Remove SBS server.

3. Deploy Exchange 2019 coexists with Exchange 2016

4.Migrate mailboxes from Exchange 2016 to Exchange 2019, then remove Exchange 2016.

You don't need to update the version of DC for Exchange 2019:

If you want to replace old DC, this article will be useful to you: Upgrade Domain Controllers to Windows Server 2016

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 3:17 AM
  • If the function level of DC could support the installation of Exchange 2016, you will could install Exchange 2016 coexist with SBS 2011, then migrate mailboxes  to Exchange 2016.

Before installing Exchange 2019, make sure Exchange 2010 has be uninstalled, because Exchange 2019 doesn't support coexist with Exchange 2010.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by sync_master Wednesday, April 10, 2019 7:30 PM
    Monday, April 8, 2019 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can't. Migration from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2019 is not supported.

First build new Exchange 2013/Exchange 2016 and move mailboxes. Then go for Exchange 2019 (After removing Exchange 2010 from environment).

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 7:06 PM
  • Thanks Ashish for your reply,

Can I upgrade SBS2011 to Windows Server 2016 first and it should upgrade Exchange as well, then once that done I upgrade again to from Windows Server 2016 to Windows Server 2019? (in-place migration)

if its not possible, when building new Windows Server 2016, how can I move the mailboxes from SBS2011 into Exchange 2016? I know I can't just restore Exchange 2010 Database into Exchange 2016?

Thanks

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 7:12 PM
  • Hi,

No inplace upgrade available for Exchange.

Build new Exchange 2016 with new databases and then move mailboxes to exchange 2016.

After that remove Exchange 2010 and build Exchange 2019 with new databases.

Move mailboxes to Exchange 2019.

Mailbox Move:-

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/architecture/mailbox-servers/manage-mailbox-moves?view=exchserver-2019

Exchange deployment Assistant will help you in this migration and a proper planning is require.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/exchange-deployment-assistant?view=exchserver-2019

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

• Marked as answer by sync_master Thursday, March 28, 2019 1:53 PM
    Tuesday, March 26, 2019 7:20 PM
  • Great. Thank you for your help
    Tuesday, March 26, 2019 7:46 PM
  • You are welcome.

Just don't forget to mark as reply if any reply helped you. This may help other as well which may have same query.

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 8:38 PM
  • Ashish, one more clarification:

will this scenario work?

1. Backup Exchange 2010 Database
    2. Decommission Exchange 2010
    3. Build Windows Server 2016
    4. Install Exchange 2016 on Windows Server 2016
    5. Move the mailboxes from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016
    6. Port the Active Directory users from SBS2011 into Windows Server 2016
    7. Build another machine with Exchange 2019 and Windows Server 2019
    8. Move the mailboxes from Exchange 2016 into Exchange 2019
    9. Promote Windows Server 2019 and import AD users from Windows Server 2016

will this scenario work?

Thanks again

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 12:54 AM
  • Hi sync_master,

No, you cannot import AD account from old AD to new AD, because there may have issue occur when you try to match AD account to mailbox. When you create a new DC, it will sync AD users automatically.

You should take steps below to update sbs2011 to Exchange 2019:

1. Migrate a small organization from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

2. Remove SBS server.

3. Deploy Exchange 2019 coexists with Exchange 2016

4.Migrate mailboxes from Exchange 2016 to Exchange 2019, then remove Exchange 2016.

You don't need to update the version of DC for Exchange 2019:

If you want to replace old DC, this article will be useful to you: Upgrade Domain Controllers to Windows Server 2016

Kyle Xu

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 3:17 AM
  • Thank you Kyle, I will go over those links
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 11:49 AM
  • OK Guys, I was successfully able to migrate from SBS2011 & Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2019 & Windows Server 2019 AD in my test lab. I am now getting ready to migrate the real thing and I have a question about how to save few hours:

I started my test migration by:

1. Remove any remnant objects of Exchange 2003 in my SBS2011
    2. Join Server 2016 to my domain
    3. Prepare schema & Install Exchange 2016
    4. Migrate mailboxes from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016
    5. repeat the same process for Exchange 2019...

my question is: Do you think I can get ahead by doing step 1-4 again in my test lab and get Exchange 2016 installed and ready and when its time to migrate the real Exchange, I would just point Exchange 2016 to the real SBS2011 & Exchange 2010 and start moving the mailboxes...since the SBS2011 is a clone of the live one..do you think it will work?

Monday, April 8, 2019 12:43 AM
  • If the function level of DC could support the installation of Exchange 2016, you will could install Exchange 2016 coexist with SBS 2011, then migrate mailboxes  to Exchange 2016.

Before installing Exchange 2019, make sure Exchange 2010 has be uninstalled, because Exchange 2019 doesn't support coexist with Exchange 2010.

Regards,

Kyle Xu

• Marked as answer by sync_master Wednesday, April 10, 2019 7:30 PM
    Monday, April 8, 2019 2:44 AM
  • No, I have to raise the functional level of the existing DC and I will have to remove some Exchange 2003 Remanent from the AD which I am not sure if it will affect users If I do it during the regular hours
    Monday, April 8, 2019 11:33 AM
  • Hi,

Which Objects you see for Exchange 2003?

Was Exchange 2003 cleanly uninstalled in environment?

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 12:48 PM
  • Hi,

Which Objects you see for Exchange 2003?

Was Exchange 2003 cleanly uninstalled in environment?

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

The object to be removed is the old server name (SBS2003) from CN=Servers) and Exchange 2016 will be installed.

When trying to install Exchange 2019, I would have to delete the object in the CN=Database --> CN=Mailbox Database 201109 otherwise it won't install properly...it gave me too many exception errors until I tried to remove that object and tried to install it again and it was happy

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

Well as Exchange 2003 was not removed properly so it's not possible to tell what will be implication without checking Exchange environment thoroughly.

Also if you have public folders then hope you have migrated those to Exchange 2010 and removed Exchange 2003 from replica list.

Thanks,

Ashish

MCITP, MCT, MCSE

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 7:07 PM
  • Exchange 2003 doesn't exist at all, but I guess the migration from SBS2003 to SBS2011 didn't go smoothly and some objects were left behind...

Thanks for your support

Wednesday, April 10, 2019 7:29 PM