Win 7 Backup Registry Tweaks RRS feed

• Question

• Several registry tweaks were given in the fourth comment of this web log entry:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/filecab/archive/2009/11/23/managing-backup-disk-space.aspx

I would like to know the ff:

At one point, my backup disk became full as the program tried to keep adding incremental backups. Is it because TimePeriodInDays was set to 365 days by default, such that the backup disk became full even before a year?

Does an AutomaticFullBackup mean that a full backup will take place after the period of days designated, and that the previous full backup and incremental backups will be deleted?

Finally, how does OlderFilesSizePercentage work?

Monday, July 16, 2012 6:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my understanding, by default, Windows 7 will keep doing incremental backups unless last full backup was made one year ago or ratio of size of deleted files + older versions of files in the current backup file is or more than 50%.

The value of OlderFilesSizePercentage determine when automatic full backup would trigger

A lower value for OlderFilesSizePercentage means the automatic full backup would trigger earlier than when it would trigger if this key was not set.

You can perform tests by setting low values of these keys and see how it works. Also, you can refer to the thread: Windows7 Backup not doing incremental for details.

Hope this helps.

Jeremy Wu

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, July 19, 2012 9:11 AM
  • Hello. I wrote in that thread, but I'd like to see if I get this right:

If I set TimePeriodInDays to, say, 30, then does this mean that the program will do an automatic full backup every thirty days?

Do I assume that when an automatic full backup is made, then a new system image will be written in the backup disk (the old one may or may not be retained given the space allocated) and that all incremental backups will be erased, and that after the full backup, subsequent ones will be incremental until another 30 days?

I am thinking of running the backup program and waiting for the backup disk to become full, then looking at the number of days for that to take place. From there, I can probably set TimePeriodInDays to something lower and hope that I can have a "set-and-forget" system. Of course, this is no assurance because for the next time period I might have an unusual amount of data added to the system such that the backup disk might become full before the time period is reached.

Finally, might there be some registry entry where the backup system simply checks the amount of free space remaining in the backup disk, and from there trigger an automatic full backup? If so, then that would make a "set-and-forget" system available.

Sunday, July 22, 2012 5:02 PM
  • There won't appear those kind of problem if you use another Registry Cleaner to backup.It can save you a lot of time.
    Tuesday, July 24, 2012 5:30 AM
  • I just want to know if the registry entries I mentioned work as I stated.

Saturday, August 11, 2012 2:58 PM