none
Missing Actual Data from Timesheets RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Project Professional 2016 MSO (16.0.9126.2295) 32-bit. I'm accessing an Office 365-hosted version of PWA but I don't seem to be able to identify a particular version number.

I've been tracking a project using this project plan for about a year.  We use PWA and timesheets to allow users to submit their time weekly. As Project Owner, I have been approving my project resources' timesheets weekly.

Bizarrely, the actual time for the week from 3-Nov to 9-Nov has disappeared.  There's no actual work visible in the Resource Usage or Task Usage view for any resource during this week (yes, I can be certain that at least one resource, me, has submitted time for the week in question).  I even recalled and then resubmitted my own timesheet.

After I recalled and resubmitted my timesheet for last week, it did not show up in the approval list (I have no automatic approvals configured).  The actual time for the project remains missing.

I can see my "time reported to other projects" is displayed within my project plan but the project hours themselves aren't displayed.  They're also not shown for me in the online PWA "Resource Assignments" page.

Help, please!

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 12:01 AM

All replies

• Hi,

please check the status manager for the tasks with missing hours. Insert column "Status Manager" in clinet - perhaps status updates are still pending in someone else's approval center.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 5:02 AM
  • Thanks, Barbara. I've checked and can confirm that I am the status manager for all tasks.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 4:44 PM
  • Hi,

that sounds quite strange. You wrote that you recalled timesheet, resubmitted and can't see anything in approval center? Can you see your latest submit in Status History when clicking on task name in timesheet? What is the last status there?

Have you had a look at approval history, if there are some errors for these tasks?

Barbara

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 7:04 PM
  • Status history (from the initial, improperly processed submission):

Update accepted: 11/12/2018 2:15 PM
    Details Actual Overtime Work On 11/5/2018 → 0h
    Actual Overtime Work On 11/7/2018 → 0h
    Actual Work On 11/5/2018 → 4h
    Actual Work On 11/7/2018 → 2h
    Submitted: 11/12/2018 2:13 PM <StevenHB>
    [StevenHB: 11/12/2018]
    Approved: 11/12/2018 2:15 PM <StevenHB>
    [StevenHB: 11/12/2018]

When I recalled and resubmitted my timesheet without changing it, there was nothing in the approval center.

I've since recalled it again and added an hour of actual work to a task that previously had none - and resubmitted. This one line ended up in the approval center.  When I approved that one line, the time from that line ended up in my project.

I'm wondering if I somehow performed some steps out of order, resulting in the wiping-out of data from the project.

I do some reporting in Excel by fetching data from the PWA OData feed.   I built a Q&D extract of timesheet data for the project and period in question so that I could at least find the data that wasn't represented in the project.  Then, I manually entered the missing data.  A bit of PITA and certainly doesn't tell me what happened or how to prevent it from recurring.

At least I haven't lost track of billable hours, though.

• Edited by StevenHB-Boston Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:09 PM additional information
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:06 PM
  • Hi,

good, that you had been able to restore your data.

When you did not modify any hours, it is normal that you don't see anything in approval center. Status (in Tasks and Timesheets) are kind of "semi intelligent" - if there is no change, nothing is submitted. I just have asked this - sorry!

To force a re-submit, it is sufficient to re-enter any value within a line. Normally, I just overwrite Remaining Work with the current value. That's the reason why I call it "semi intelligent": There is a check, if there is anything modified since the last submit - but it does not check if the modified cell has a different value.

Barbara

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:14 PM
  • Thanks for the clarification on how resubmissions work.  Still, I hate not knowing how to prevent recurrence.
    Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:55 PM
  • Hi,

not sure what happened in your case, since data from eactly one week was missing. To avoid data loss caused by mistake when editing a project, you (or your administrator) can enable "Only allow task updates via Tasks and Timesheets" in "PWA Settings - Task Settings and Display". This will prevent PMs from editing Actual Work.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 9:09 PM