How to delete App-v application from app-v RDS client RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

How can I delete an app-v application from RDS client more effectively? because after I delete an application from Application Visualization client, the application is still in user's roaming profile and registry, also I have to manually uninstall the application from Uninstall or change a program location.

Chi

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:37 PM

Answers

• That's one of many approaches to installing App-V packages - if that approach suits your environment then stick with it.

When you install an App-V package using the MSI, you can remove the App-V package using the App-V Client Console (sftcmc.msc) or an SFTMIME command, but that won't remove the entry in Programs and Features.

The MSI is a seperate component that doesn't really have any relation to the App-V package, other than that's how the package was added to the client. Removing the package via the above methods won't remove the MSI entry.

Either remove the package in two steps or only use Programs and Features to remove the package.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:50 PM

All replies

• Hello,

What are you trying to achieve?
    /Znack
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Hi,

I just want to delete a package and sequence the package again. I realize if I delete the package from Application Virtualization client, this action it won't remove the package totally from the RDS client.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:54 PM
  • How are you deploying those App-V packages? If you are using the App-V Management Server to deploy applications, disable the application instead of removing it.

However the user profile portion of the package will always remain in each user's profile. You'll have to use another means, such as a script, to remove those.

What do you mean by this? "also I have to manually uninstall the application from Uninstall or change a program location."

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 8:43 PM
  • I didn't use App-V management server to deploy the application. After I sequenced the application then I run the installer to installed the package directly at 2008 R2 RDS server. Is that a proper way to deploy an App-V application? 

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:38 PM
  • That's one of many approaches to installing App-V packages - if that approach suits your environment then stick with it.

When you install an App-V package using the MSI, you can remove the App-V package using the App-V Client Console (sftcmc.msc) or an SFTMIME command, but that won't remove the entry in Programs and Features.

The MSI is a seperate component that doesn't really have any relation to the App-V package, other than that's how the package was added to the client. Removing the package via the above methods won't remove the MSI entry.

Either remove the package in two steps or only use Programs and Features to remove the package.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 9:50 PM