SCSM substitute string for full classification category in email notification RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone guide me what should be substitute string for 'full classification category'?

Lets say... I have a category hardware/printer/installation

when I create notification template it shows the selected category for e.g. installation not the full category.

it is very difficult to identify the main category on email notification.

Friday, January 6, 2017 6:39 AM

All replies

• Hi

I do not believe you can do this in a notification template. Using the full category path could be created in reporting, but that does not help your situation.

The best way would be to rename Installation to Printer Installation or Installation - Printer. I usually make the end leaf classification unique, where possible, for this exact reason.

When designing SCSM solutions categories and classifications can cause a lot of headaches. Often there is a tendency to over classify and create to many categories. My guide is that classifications are there for reporting purposes - if it is not being used in a report then it does not need to be there.

With a slight exception for classifications that might be used for views (but this is essentially a live report, so is still reporting based).

I have also seen solutions that added an Additional Classification property (or two) to allow more options and even used Business Services as further category. And yes they did use all of these in Reports.

Adding and Renaming Classifications are no problem, but deleting classifications will probably cause issues. When deleting a classification any of the existing jobs (open, resolved and closed) that used the classification will now have a GUID value (of the old classification) and will probably need to be updated to a new classification. This can be done by powershell, but should be planned out in advance.

Not sure if this is info relevant to your situation, but classifications have caused a few issues in the past and it is one of the areas where it is easy to make life difficult in the future when they need to be changed.

Regards

Glen

Web: www.xapity.com  |   Twitter: @xapityapps  |   Facebook: xapityapps

Friday, January 6, 2017 9:07 AM
  • Thank you Glen for your swift and detailed response.

We are already using the full classification category in reports, so on that area we are fine.

The uniqueness of the last category is the good idea, if we don't have any option.

I agree Microsoft should work on this as it is not only related to category, it will be useful for other category list like support group if we have multiple layers in tier2 or tier3 etc. etc.

Thank you once again. Much appreciated.

Regards

Friday, January 6, 2017 11:08 AM
  • Here's some personal advice to SCSM learner.

You should use Business Services for marking what a ticket is fixing/reporting on, and category should be limited to the general scope of an issue.  What I mean by this is you have an "SCSM" Business Service and you select a category of Server Side Software if it's an issue with SCSM on the Server side.  You'll need to determine what scopes you deal with regarding a Business Service.... 

I say this because at one point we were only using classifications and it was a mess.  I had to build custom tools for SCSM 2012 R2 to convert us over to using business services and retain incident accuracy....

SCSM Incident - Service Adder and Reclassification Tools

Later on we needed to also revamp our Support Group for Vendors which meant we normally assigned to a Vendor Account but then we needed to assign to the group and vendor individuals, something else I also then built a custom tool to convert our existing older tickets over for a smooth transition.

Reassign Incident Support Group Based on Assigned To

Monday, January 9, 2017 7:39 PM
  • Thank you for your advise. I will explore these tools.

Much appreciated.

Monday, January 16, 2017 6:13 PM