System Center Can't find the deployment package RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

We are trying to deploy Mozilla Firefox to our computer labs via SCE, and every time we run into the same problem. As you know, SCE copies

the deployment packages to a folder inside UpdateServicesPackages on the local hard drive before they are deployed - inside that folder it

creates a cab file, which contains the msi that needs to be installed. Once Windows update is run and Firefox installs, running it brings up the

following error message: "The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable". It also brings up a dialog box at the

bottom that lists the path to the msi, but the problem is that that path is wrong. Instead of looking for the cab file with the msi inside of it, it

looks for a folder of the same name, which of course does not exist. Once I create a folder and place the msi inside of it, then Firefox

configures and everything runs great. My question is: Why does that happen? Is something wrong with my SCE setup, or is something wrong

with the Firefox msi package (it is custom made)? Is there a setting that I can change to change where the msi is placed? Any help would be

greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Regards,

Nikita

Wednesday, May 25, 2011 11:15 PM

All replies

• Hello Nikita,

All the steps to create and deploy a Software Package are included in the article below:

How to Create and Deploy a Software Package in Essentials

No other settings will be used to specify a setup folder. I suspect it was defined in the MSI package. I would suggest you downloading a .exe package from the Mozilla wbsite:

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html?product=firefox-4.0.1&os=win&lang=en-US

Then deploy this package to the managed computers to see if it work,

Thanks,

Yog Li -- Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 11:16 AM
  • Hi Yog,

I did read all of the documentation before I even deployed my first package, so there is nothing there that's new. When deploying 

Firefox from the exe, Windows Update just sits there, and does not do anything - it says it's installing Firefox but there is no progress bar. The

problem with deploying Firefox from the exe is that we can't lock down certain settings via mozilla.cfg, which we can put in the custom package that

we make. Thank you.

Regards,

Nikita

Friday, May 27, 2011 5:22 PM