none
Syncing users from a source AD to a target AD RRS feed

• Question

• I'm quite new to FIM/MIM and have the following two questions:

Is it possible to sync data (only users and theirpasswords) from one source Active Directory to another target Active Directory (in a different forest) without installing a FIM portal? Means only installing the sync services. Do I need to configure outbound synch rules? IS this possible without portal and/or coding?

Thx for help.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:04 PM

Answers

• Sorry, didn't spot that question in your first post...

Yes, in a standard configuration you would write a little code to provision the new users to the target AD.

Here's a third party codeless solution you might consider if coding is an issue for you: https://fimmre.codeplex.com/documentation it uses XML control files for provisioning/deprovisioning logic.

• Marked as answer by Tobi1412 Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:56 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:23 PM

All replies

• It's possible to sync accounts and their various attributes using sync service only. 

However, to sync passwords you'd need to configure PCNS and the passwords would only sync when a user changes their password.

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:08 PM
  • Thank you.

But I need to write provisoning code right to write new users to the target AD?

Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:13 PM
  • Sorry, didn't spot that question in your first post...

Yes, in a standard configuration you would write a little code to provision the new users to the target AD.

Here's a third party codeless solution you might consider if coding is an issue for you: https://fimmre.codeplex.com/documentation it uses XML control files for provisioning/deprovisioning logic.

• Marked as answer by Tobi1412 Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:56 PM
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:23 PM
  • Thank you very much for the quick answer. I will give that a try.
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 12:56 PM