Connection failed SQL Server 2008 R2 with Instance Name but with IP connect RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have a server where SQL Server 2008 R2 is installed. Now from our local pc we connect to that database. I try to connect that database using instance name but cannot. If I put IP Address in the server name field, then it connect. my other colleague, they can connect using instance name but I cannot.

How can I resolve this problem? How can I connect using Instance Name?

Please help.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 8:21 AM

Answers

• Are you using the correct sql servername, run select @@servername. Also, post the exact error you are getting while connecting to SQL server from Name.

Few tips to troubleshoot the issue is mentioned in below link, check if help: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839269/en-us

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem

• Proposed as answer by Kalman Toth Saturday, May 31, 2014 6:49 AM
    • Marked as answer by tracycai Tuesday, June 3, 2014 10:46 AM
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Disable your firewall software, then try again.

If it works then add port 1433 TCP and 1434 UDP to the firewall exception.

Best regards,
    Ferry Meidianto | My Blog

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:27 PM
  • Hello,

We have a server where SQL Server 2008 R2 is installed. Now from our local pc we connect to that database.

I try to connect that database using instance name but cannot.

Are you talking about local connation or from remote?
    Did you use the server name as well?
    <Server name>\<instance name>

If I put IP Address in the server name field, then it connect.

if you are using remote connection then Firewall probably open in this case

my other colleague, they can connect using instance name but I cannot.

Please help.

Please post what are using in the connection (not the pasward but only the problematic value)

[Personal Site] [Blog] [Facebook]signature

Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:13 PM
  • Faisal there are a couple of possibilities for you. Some have been mentioned already. For us to help if you can provide some further information this would be appreciated. In the mean time some things that you can check

If you are able to connect to the instance via Server IP Address then the instance is configured for remote connections and the firewall does allow for remote connections to come through. You can check the SQL Server Configuration Manager on the server to check what protocols (Named Pipes & TCP/IP are enabled). You can also check that the Browser is running.

What error message do you receive when trying to connect via the ServerName or ServerName\InstanceName remotely?

You could look at creating an entry in your host file with the server name and IP address on you workstation and test this. I am thinking that if a colleague is able to connect remotely via ServerName or ServerName\InstanceName that you potentially have a caching issue or a DNS issue. Are you able to ping the servername from your workstation and get a valid response from the correct IP address?

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Warwick Rudd (MCM - SQL 2008 | MCT)

(SQL Masters Consulting | My SQL Server Blog | Twitter)

Friday, May 30, 2014 2:37 AM

All replies

• Are you using the correct sql servername, run select @@servername. Also, post the exact error you are getting while connecting to SQL server from Name.

Few tips to troubleshoot the issue is mentioned in below link, check if help: 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839269/en-us

Please click the Mark as answer button and vote as helpful if this reply solves your problem

Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:04 PM
  • Disable your firewall software, then try again.

If it works then add port 1433 TCP and 1434 UDP to the firewall exception.

Best regards,
    Ferry Meidianto | My Blog

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, May 29, 2014 12:27 PM
  • Hello,

We have a server where SQL Server 2008 R2 is installed. Now from our local pc we connect to that database.

I try to connect that database using instance name but cannot.

Are you talking about local connation or from remote?
    Did you use the server name as well?
    <Server name>\<instance name>

If I put IP Address in the server name field, then it connect.

if you are using remote connection then Firewall probably open in this case

my other colleague, they can connect using instance name but I cannot.

Please help.

Please post what are using in the connection (not the pasward but only the problematic value)

[Personal Site] [Blog] [Facebook]signature

Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:13 PM
  • Faisal there are a couple of possibilities for you. Some have been mentioned already. For us to help if you can provide some further information this would be appreciated. In the mean time some things that you can check

If you are able to connect to the instance via Server IP Address then the instance is configured for remote connections and the firewall does allow for remote connections to come through. You can check the SQL Server Configuration Manager on the server to check what protocols (Named Pipes & TCP/IP are enabled). You can also check that the Browser is running.

What error message do you receive when trying to connect via the ServerName or ServerName\InstanceName remotely?

You could look at creating an entry in your host file with the server name and IP address on you workstation and test this. I am thinking that if a colleague is able to connect remotely via ServerName or ServerName\InstanceName that you potentially have a caching issue or a DNS issue. Are you able to ping the servername from your workstation and get a valid response from the correct IP address?

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Warwick Rudd (MCM - SQL 2008 | MCT)

(SQL Masters Consulting | My SQL Server Blog | Twitter)

Friday, May 30, 2014 2:37 AM