Choice Filter Options Automatically Populated RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all. First of all, I have no access to designer and no access to changing anything outside of out of the box SharePoint due to corporate regulations.

I'm in charge of leaving a developed SharePoint system to non-advanced users to be sustainable and live on once my contract is up. I've created a training document database which can be organized currently by over 100 different views so individual positions, departments, training owners, can view. I would like to take advantage of filters as I know this essentially creates the same effect.

I'm wondering, instead of always updating the choices feature in the webpart, for a choice filter, is there a way that the choices may generate from a column on a SharePoint list? I'd like to set my supervisor up one SharePoint list with different columns that the choices for the choice filter can pull from? 

Is this possible?

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:27 PM

All replies

• There is a sharepoint list filter web part that you can use to show items from a list that you use as a lookup on the list you filter on to create a view. Otherwise, you can use the dropdowns on the view as filters as well.

Andy Wessendorf SharePoint Developer II | Rackspace andy.wessendorf@rackspace.com

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:39 PM
  • First off, thanks Andrew! I feel like you're always first to respond to my messages! Very knowledgeable! 

I have a column labeled as positions, this column pulls from a list of the positions which are then checked off and populate in the column.

In the choice filter, you have to manually type all of these options and they add, remove, and change these position titles all the time so I'd like the list to automatically generate into the options. Is this possible?

Wednesday, February 5, 2014 6:57 PM