none
Error Code 6 When trying to install Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old laptop that has Windows 10 installed on it.  I have a Windows 7 disc which I'd like to install and use instead.  When I insert the disc and follow the directions error code 6 comes up.  Can anyone help me with what I could try?  Thanks
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 6:05 PM

All replies

• You do not provide enough information to make any recommendations. Also, how can you have an "old laptop" with Windows 10 installed on it?  Perhaps you mean Windows XP?

What is the exact make, model, and series of your laptop?  This information may help in trying to determine your situation.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:26 PM
  • Any windows OS installation by default/microsoft  on pc start,enter the BIOS,set cdrom with Win OS as 1st boot

device,HD 2nd,save & exit BIOS.Look for "press any key to boot to cd" text,Win install runs auto,best bet,delete

partition,create one,let Win install run auto..This is microsoft default settings in a "clean installation"....

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:55 PM
  • It is a ASUS  Model A52F MB Ver: K52F. My friend gave it to me, and said it was about 5 years old.  She gave it to me ready to use with Windows 10 home version 1607, but after using it for a couple of months I just prefer Windows 7.  
    Wednesday, January 25, 2017 3:47 AM
  • Hi,

According to your description, it seems that system boot files NTLDR was missing.

I suggest you use Bootrec.exe tool to repair startup issues.

Regarding how to use the Bootrec.exe tool, I suggest you refer to the following article with you:

Use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

If it doesn’t work, maybe we need to perform a clean installation of Windows.

Create installation media for Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-create-installation-media

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 8:42 AM