Prevent users changing printing preferences RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There

Well as the title says that is what I am trying to do.

I have a 2003 R2 Server running Print Management.
    I have several printers that are colour but I only want certain people to be able to print black and white.
    I have set the printer defaults to Black and White but users can still go in and change the printing preferences.
    I did look in the permissions to see it I can put deny on manage printers but this also puts deny on print so that did not work.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Luke 

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

All Printing Preferences settings are stored in the following Registry Key on client computers. Based on my test, the only way to disable Printing Preferences is to deny users to modify this key.  

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers\Connections

If you wouldn’t like users to change Printing Preferences, you can edit the Registry Key permissions. You can use subniacl.exe in a logon script to configure permission automatically of this Registry Key. 

However, editing default this Registry key may cause other issues. Please test carefully before deploying. 

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:55 AM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

All Printing Preferences settings are stored in the following Registry Key on client computers. Based on my test, the only way to disable Printing Preferences is to deny users to modify this key.  

If you wouldn’t like users to change Printing Preferences, you can edit the Registry Key permissions. You can use subniacl.exe in a logon script to configure permission automatically of this Registry Key. 

However, editing default this Registry key may cause other issues. Please test carefully before deploying. 

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by Mervyn Zhang Tuesday, March 17, 2009 12:55 AM
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Hi,
    I think that you can acomplish this by setting better the security of each printer.
    Another thing that you can do is to audit the users that Manage the printer and the users that modify the permission.

Good Luck!!! Regards,
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 11:15 PM
  • I have found by deleting the value the Print Preferences are stored under in the registry it will revert back to default.

I created a script to run each morning at logon in group policy to 

delete the DevMode value under the print queue name in 

REG delete HKCU\Printers\Connections\<PRINT QUEUE> /f /v DevMode

Hope you find this useful

Dave
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:28 AM
  • Thanks for the tip!
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:37 AM