Internet Printing has slow connection RRS feed

• Question

• I deployed internet printing, the issue is that it's very slow to connect to the printer. The most slow seesions are 'checking network connection' and 'downloading file'. Print Server are locally (differnet subnet).

Server = Windows 2008 R2, Workstations = Windows XP Pro SP3

Is there a way to speed the connection? Thanks.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 5:06 PM

Answers

• Are you using RPC or IPP?  When the connection appears on the client as "Printer on Server" you are communicating over RPC.  2008 + will attempt to send data as Async RPC but XP does not support this so after that fails, sync RPC is used.  There is also a similar timeout with SMB2 not supported on XP but I'm not sure how fast the fallback occurs.

You can force sync RPC on the 2008 +.  If you have any Vista + clients they may have issues installing package aware print drivers.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/388395df-737b-4bfa-abbb-33643e7f6f58

If the connections gets created as "Printer on Http//server", you have a true IPP connection, the transport mechanism is slower.  I have no idea if there is anyway to make this faster.  A network forum might have the answer.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    • Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, February 21, 2011 9:37 AM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:57 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• Are you using RPC or IPP?  When the connection appears on the client as "Printer on Server" you are communicating over RPC.  2008 + will attempt to send data as Async RPC but XP does not support this so after that fails, sync RPC is used.  There is also a similar timeout with SMB2 not supported on XP but I'm not sure how fast the fallback occurs.

You can force sync RPC on the 2008 +.  If you have any Vista + clients they may have issues installing package aware print drivers.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itpronetworking/thread/388395df-737b-4bfa-abbb-33643e7f6f58

If the connections gets created as "Printer on Http//server", you have a true IPP connection, the transport mechanism is slower.  I have no idea if there is anyway to make this faster.  A network forum might have the answer.

• Marked as answer by Miles Zhang Monday, February 21, 2011 9:37 AM
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:57 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks, Alan. I am communicating over RPC 'Printer on Server'. The link you provided is about windows vista and 7, did anyone try that reg hack on windows xp? There has to be a way to speed this up.
    Thang Mo
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:11 PM
  • The reg key works when the server communicates back to the client as well.  The print spooler on XP is only aware of Sync RPC.  Adding this to XP will do nothing.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 12:48 AM
    Answerer