none
User cant view "Administrative Templates"

Question

• Hi,

I have a small Virtual network running windows server 2012 and host running win 8.

I add a group policy and add computer configuration – “show first sign-in animation” – dissabled.

I then view the policy – gpresult as admin and I can see the result of the applied configuration.

Then I log as a user and do the same and I cannot see Administrative Templates listed in the report.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thursday, April 23, 2015 3:48 PM

Answers

• This is expected behaviour please see this which i borrowed from this article 

http://blog.thesysadmins.co.uk/group-policy-gpresult-examples.html

I can’t see the Computer Settings?

If UAC is enabled, running GPResult without elevating the command prompt will only show you the user settings. If you want to see both user and computer settings, elevate the command prompt by either tapping the winkey+cmd then ctrl+shift+enter or right click on the command prompt and select run as administrator. If you elevate with an admin account different to the currently logged in user (common if the user does not have administrator rights), then you will receive an error message statingINFO: The user “domain\user” does not have RSOP data. This is because GPResult is using the elevated user’s context. To work around this, specify the standard user that you are troubleshooting.

gpresult /r /user:sa\edward.thomas

Friday, April 24, 2015 10:58 AM
  • so you set a computer gpo? ok, if you log on as a "user" you will only see the user gpo's not the applied computer ones

To see the computer gpos you need to run as admin then you will see computer and the logged on users group policies. 

May i suggest using group policy results wizard where you will see all policies and don't need to specifically run as admin

Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:00 PM
  • ppatryk,  you mention that you can see the gpo being applied in the group policy wizard.

That means that the GPO is being applied to the specific user.

So why would you want to see the gpresult in the user session?

The workaround that AlexAdkin posted will work and is very handy while on user desk support, but a bit awkward when the group policy wizard are available

Friday, April 24, 2015 2:03 PM

All replies

• so you set a computer gpo? ok, if you log on as a "user" you will only see the user gpo's not the applied computer ones

To see the computer gpos you need to run as admin then you will see computer and the logged on users group policies. 

May i suggest using group policy results wizard where you will see all policies and don't need to specifically run as admin

Thursday, April 23, 2015 8:00 PM
  • Hi  Alex,

I use the group policy wizard, specify the hostname and user, finish the wizard, and I can successfully view the report details from the server, but then I log into the workstation as user and still the same output as before, and still not showing what I want it to?

Any ideas how to fix it ?

Thanks

Friday, April 24, 2015 8:43 AM
  • This is expected behaviour please see this which i borrowed from this article 

http://blog.thesysadmins.co.uk/group-policy-gpresult-examples.html

I can’t see the Computer Settings?

If UAC is enabled, running GPResult without elevating the command prompt will only show you the user settings. If you want to see both user and computer settings, elevate the command prompt by either tapping the winkey+cmd then ctrl+shift+enter or right click on the command prompt and select run as administrator. If you elevate with an admin account different to the currently logged in user (common if the user does not have administrator rights), then you will receive an error message statingINFO: The user “domain\user” does not have RSOP data. This is because GPResult is using the elevated user’s context. To work around this, specify the standard user that you are troubleshooting.

gpresult /r /user:sa\edward.thomas

Friday, April 24, 2015 10:58 AM
  • ppatryk,  you mention that you can see the gpo being applied in the group policy wizard.

That means that the GPO is being applied to the specific user.

So why would you want to see the gpresult in the user session?

The workaround that AlexAdkin posted will work and is very handy while on user desk support, but a bit awkward when the group policy wizard are available

Friday, April 24, 2015 2:03 PM
  • i concur, i dont don't think the OP understands still. 
    Friday, April 24, 2015 6:55 PM