Does the FREE Translator Widget work for WSS 3.0? RRS feed

• Question

• Does the new Microsoft Free Translator Widget work in WSS 3.0? Is it truley free, regardless if site is commerical or not, when not using the Community Features? I suspect I would just throw the Script generated on the widget Page ( www.microsofttranslator.com/Widget/ ) into a CEWP's (Content Editor Webpart) source window and place on any page I want translated? Are there Security issues I need to be concerened with the Widget accessing my companies intranet WSS.30 site? Does anything regarding SharePoint Permissions need to be added for the Widget to work?
    Friday, May 3, 2013 12:13 PM

Answers

• It looks free.  This quote, taken from the terms of use suggests its free enough.

2. WHAT RIGHTS DO I HAVE?  Solely to the extent that you are in compliance with all terms of this contract, we grant you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicenseable license to use the services to do the following:
    	a.   For Widget: enable site owner/webmaster/developer to display the Widget on their site (by pasting in the code snippet we generate for them), allow site visitors to use the Widget to request translations of the content on a particular web page, display these translations on the web page to the user, and allow the user to use the Widget to request translations in other languages and use other features as offered through the Widget and toolbar interfaces.
    	b. For API: enable your Website or application to request and display translations and other language related results as provided by the API. 

Apart from bandwidth issues, I can't think of anything that you may have to be worried about.  Note, the terms do allow MS to insert thier own branding into the widget, so this may need to be checked with your own internal marketing team.

Note this thread too.

Steven Andrews | SharePoint Professional | http://www.twitter.com/backpackerd00d | https://baron72.wordpress.com/

Friday, May 3, 2013 2:28 PM
    Answerer