none
DPM - Backup Oracle RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

I have one server running Oracle. I'd like to backup the database with SCDPM 2010. Is it possible ? As I 've seen, I can to stop the oracle services and then backup the oracle files. If I enable VSS on server, could I back up this files without stopping the oracle services ?

Regards,

Nadim

Wilson Nadim www.tecnicowilson.com
    • Moved by Parag Agrawal Wednesday, August 4, 2010 10:01 AM SQL DB protection related question. (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 3:36 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

All versions of System Center Data Protection Manager, including 2006, 2007 and 2010, do not natively support backing up an Oracle database. With 11g, Oracle has released a VSS Writer that is compatible with 10g & 9i to backup using Windows based backup applications, however since DPM is not Oracle aware it does not leverage the VSS writer.

There is some good news with DPM 2010. Microsoft ISV partner i365 (Seagate software company) has a product that plugs into DPM 2010 and provides the ability to backup Oracle & a host of other third party systems: http://www.i365.com/products/data-backup-software/microsoft-backup-recovery/index.html

Beyond that, we do have some workarounds which are included below:

1. Backup Oracle using it native backup utility RMON and then use DPM to backup the files RMAN creates (as file data). For more information on RMON, see: http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B28359_01/backup.111/b28270/rcmquick.htm#BABJAGIB

2. You could also backup Oracle files directly (as file data) by using a script to shut down Oracle before backup and restart after backup - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808870.aspx

Regards, Mike J [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, August 3, 2010 4:30 PM
  • ..but if i run my Oracle server as Virtual Server on Hyper-V server.

Then ..

if i backup VM, is it Oracle fully recoverable, if i recover full server(VHD) ?

..or there could be some database errors after that ?

Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:25 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, the oracle writer inside the VM should put the database into a consistent state during a hyper-v backup by dpm.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 12:43 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, the oracle writer inside the VM should put the database into a consistent state during a hyper-v backup by dpm.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

What do you mean by this "should" ;-) ? Do you mean if I do a backup by having the DPM 2019 AGent o the Hyper-V Cluster host, I can backup Oracle and only restore by restoring the whole VM ?

• Edited by Lord Melch Wednesday, November 25, 2020 9:53 AM
    Wednesday, November 25, 2020 9:52 AM