General discussion

• Application Name: Oracle Client

Application Version: 11G R2

Company Name: Oracle

Sequencer Version: 4.6

App-V Client Version Tested On: 4.6

Operating System Sequenced On: Server 2003 R2 SP2

Pre-requisites: None

Client Operating Systems Successfully Deployed To: Server 2003 R2 SP2 (x86), Server 2008 (x86), Server 2008 R2.

Posted by non-Microsoft Employee: Kevin Kaminski, Big Hat Group Inc.

Steps to Sequence the Application:

Before sequencing you may want a dummy user and system ODBC DNS in place so that the sequence can see other DSNs at the machine level.

• Launch setup.exe.
    • Make sure InstantClient is selected and click Next.
    • Change the installation folder to Q:\Oracle11.001.
    • Ignore PATH error.
    • Select Finish.
    • Click Close.

Most environments provide a TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA files that are customized for the customers environment. It is a good idea to keep these files outside of the sequence to make them easier to update especially if you are going to use multiple sequences with the Oracle client. Make a folder off of the root of C:\ and put the files in there and set the environment variable  based on the example below.

TNS_ADMIN=c:\OracleTNS

• Create necessary ODBC DSNs.

Known Issues/Limitations: Oracle is working on a client to be supported on Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2. A release is expected in July 2010.                                  

Approximate Sequencing Time: 30 minutes

Other (Optional fields)

App-V friendly copy protection scheme?  N/A

Additional Notes/Links: N/A

Custom scripts to assist in the process: Can use pre launch script to update TNSNAMES.ORA and SQLNET.ORA if it is inside of the sequence.

www.bighatgroup.com
    Monday, April 12, 2010 4:04 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I need your help.
    I virtualized Oracle 11g, but as I test, both IconeNetManager and Wallet Manager does not launch.

Cordially
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Hello,

I need your help.
    I virtualized Oracle 11g, but as I test, both IconeNetManager and Wallet Manager does not launch.

Cordially

Please ask support questions in this forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/appvgeneralsequencing/threads
    This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Tuesday, March 8, 2011 1:42 PM
  • Aaron

Thanks for this recipe. Im trying to use this as middleware and link it to another application via DSC.

Just a quick query. Is the environment variable TNS_admin=c:\OralceTNS declared in the OSD File like this;

<ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE="TNS_ADMIN">C:\OracleTNS</ENVIRONMENT>

and does that folder and tns names have to be setup in the sequencing process?

Im wanting to use Oracle11g client as middleware for a number of different applications.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 1:48 PM
  • Please ask support questions in this forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-GB/appvgeneralsequencing/threads

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:03 PM
  • Hi ,

Can you please help me with the error message:

"The setup routines for the Oracle in OraClient11g_home1 ODBC driver could not be loaded due to system error code 998:Invaild access to memory location"

I get this error while trying to create ODBC after publishing the sequenced application.

Thursday, February 26, 2015 7:06 AM