Renaming Computer name and administrator name throughout RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

After renaming the computer name and administrator name, I noticed that changes do not get done throughout.

How to rename the computer and administrator so that it must be updated throughout?

If it’s in a network, changes must be updated throughout the network.

Regards
    InTechSys

InTechSys

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 6:32 PM

Answers

• For all/Windows defaults,R.click my computer/properties/Advanced/Computer name,set Microsoft as the WorkGroup in its default.Once done,in Internet Options/Privacy/Content/ Advanced/allow Microsoft.com

then in Advanced tab/set to Advanced settings/close out restart pc.

• Marked as answer by MrGNS Tuesday, November 5, 2019 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 7:13 PM
  • Hi,

Rename built-in administrator account via Computer Management

Rename Computer Name via System Properties.

We must restart computer after above renaming operations, then new name will take effect throughout.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 2:57 AM

All replies

• For all/Windows defaults,R.click my computer/properties/Advanced/Computer name,set Microsoft as the WorkGroup in its default.Once done,in Internet Options/Privacy/Content/ Advanced/allow Microsoft.com

then in Advanced tab/set to Advanced settings/close out restart pc.

• Marked as answer by MrGNS Tuesday, November 5, 2019 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, October 30, 2019 7:13 PM
  • Hi,

Rename built-in administrator account via Computer Management

Rename Computer Name via System Properties.

We must restart computer after above renaming operations, then new name will take effect throughout.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 31, 2019 2:57 AM
  • #Andrew E. and #TeemoTang thank you for resolving my question.

I know, how to rename computer name and administrator.

Mostly I noticed, when I rename the administrator and computer name, I see the old name in some places e.g. Command Prompt, in Users folder (C:\Users), at place of registry, etc.

I believe there may be other places also which we don’t notice.

That’s why I asked, by which way we should rename so that changes must be throughout the system.

InTechSys

Tuesday, November 5, 2019 3:19 PM
  • #Andrew E. and #TeemoTang

Just now I renamed user account.

After renaming the user account, I restarted the computer.

I checked in the Command Prompt and in the C:\Users. I still see the old account name.

It is disappointing.

There are many ways for renaming the user account name but please let me know, which way should I use so that the user account name must be changed throughout the system?

Regards

InTechSys

InTechSys

Thursday, November 7, 2019 7:22 PM
  • #Andrew E. and #TeemoTang

Just now I renamed user account.

After renaming the user account, I restarted the computer.

I checked in the Command Prompt and in the C:\Users. I still see the old account name.

It is disappointing.

There are many ways for renaming the user account name but please let me know, which way should I use so that the user account name must be changed throughout the system?

Regards

InTechSys

InTechSys

Hi, at c:\users\, you are seeing the user profile folder, this is created based upon the name of the account at the time of account creation. It is not renamed at the time of account renaming.

You can manually rename the folder, if you have sufficient permissions, but you must then edit the ProfileImagePath regkey.

1) ensure the targeted user account is logged-off (best to restart the PC and then logon with the alternative/admin account to ensure)
    2) rename the user account (nb: the underlying SID does not change)
    3) rename the user account profile folder
    4) open regedit and navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
    recurse through each SID/ user profile subkey until you find the targeted account profile folder name (old name)
    5) edit the value data stored in the ProfileImagePath regkey so that it reflects the new name

Logon as the renamed account and verify correct operation.

I have used this approach successfully over many years on WinNT/WinXP/Win7, although not tried it on Win10.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Thursday, November 7, 2019 8:38 PM
  • As you said, Hi, at c:\users\, you are seeing the user profile folder, this is created based upon the name of the account at the time of account creation. It is not renamed at the time of account renaming.

I thought same thing and I did Google search for renaming user profile folder and I found a link explaining same steps that you explained.

Unfortunately, in my case, after 1st restart, I have seen user profile folder name didn't change and in the command prompt the profile name was TEMP. After 2nd restart, user profile was corrupted.

InTechSys

Friday, November 8, 2019 6:35 PM