none
Launch Active Directory and computers directly with computer/user/group selected? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

With the tool windirstat.exe you can analyze a computerdrive (what is taking space).
    You can launch it with -args \\computername\share so it directly goes to the share and analyzes it.

Is there a way to do this for an AD comptuer object like user, group, computer?

There is dsa.msc to open ADUC  command line but I don't find a way to launch it directly for a certain object.
    F.e. get-adcomputer -launchinaduc

Please advise.
    J.

Jan Hoedt

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 7:55 PM

Answers

• It works fine for me here when I tested it.

This is not a support forum for dsa.msc, which is a standard Microsoft tool that happens to support certain command-line parameters.

If these command-line parameters don't do precisely what you want them to do, there is absolutely nothing we can do about that.

Keep in mind that this is a peer-to-peer Q&A forum - it is not an official Microsoft support channel. If you want that, you will likely need to open a support incident with Microsoft directly.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

• Marked as answer by janhoedt Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:35 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 3:23 PM

All replies

• What information is it that you need from AD?  AD is not a file system so it does not have the dirstat info.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:03 PM
  • How about Get-AdGroup, Get-AdUser, Get-AdComputer.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:17 PM
  • Do you mean this?

Start-Process compmgmt.msc /computer=thecomputer

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:23 PM
  • You mean you want to open the ADUC MMC console pre-selected to a specific object?

I don't think you can do that, but you can use the parameter /RDN= to specify that you want to "root" the console at a particular container. Example:

Start-Process dsa.msc "/RDN=OU=Computers,OU=Sales"

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:48 PM
  • Correct, sometimes I like to check settings via the GUI for a quick check instead of looking for the correct PS line. So dsa.msc cannot do it, what about the "active directory center" dsac.exe or another tool?

Jan Hoedt

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 9:14 AM
  • Use PowerSHell. It navigates like a file system.

cd 'AD:\OU=Computers,OU=MyBusiness,DC=TESTNET,DC=local'

PS C:\scripts> Get-Item 'AD:/CN=WS701,OU=SBSComputers,OU=Computers,OU=MyBusiness,DC=TESTNET,DC=local'|fl *

PSPath            : Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management\ActiveDirectory:://RootDSE/CN=WS701,OU=SBSComputers,OU=Computers,OU=MyBusines
                        s,DC=TESTNET,DC=local
    PSParentPath      : Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management\ActiveDirectory:://RootDSE/OU=SBSComputers,OU=Computers,OU=MyBusiness,DC=test
                        NET,DC=local
    PSChildName       : CN=WS701
    PSDrive           : AD
    PSProvider        : Microsoft.ActiveDirectory.Management\ActiveDirectory
    PSIsContainer     : True
    distinguishedName : CN=WS701,OU=SBSComputers,OU=Computers,OU=MyBusiness,DC=TESTNET,DC=local
    name              : WS701
    objectClass       : computer
    objectGUID        : 8e4ddb8a-4d80-4f4c-8704-a18597e8b013
    PropertyNames     : {distinguishedName, name, objectClass, objectGUID}
    PropertyCount     : 4

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:21 PM
  • Thanks. I know it can. However, I'm making a GUI in which I would like to open the object (user, computer,group) in a GUI. That way manipulations can be done directly (add/remove users etc).
    I'd prefer not to build this GUI myself so would like to use ADUC or active directory center.

Jan Hoedt

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 1:27 PM
  • Can't be done.

Here is a simple GUI that can be modified to do what you need.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjiiPtIUqzK_hPkzeg5FNQHVJNYAcA

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Wednesday, March 1, 2017 2:25 PM
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 2:22 PM
  • I'd prefer not to build this GUI myself so would like to use ADUC or active directory center.

Understood, but unfortunately, wishful thinking does not cause features to spring into existence.

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 5:37 PM
  • Again I ask myself what the added value of your comment is Bill.

Jan Hoedt

Thursday, March 2, 2017 8:11 AM
  • I'm merely pointing out that features don't exist just because we want them to or because they make sense to us. Someone has to write them. In this case, the ADUC and ADAC consoles simply don't offer the feature that you want.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 3:04 PM
  • Btw, the dsa.msc /RDN.... doesn't root to a specific container. It just opens ADUC.

Jan Hoedt

Monday, March 13, 2017 1:25 PM
  • I just tested and verified.

PS C:\> & dsa.msc "/RDN=OU=Sales"

This opens the Active Directory Users and Computers console "rooted" at OU=Sales,DC=...

You have to omit the domain part of the RDN (the parameter uses a relative distinguished name - RDN - not a full distinguished name - hence the name).

Monday, March 13, 2017 2:27 PM
  • First time it opens Sales, but every other attempt it doesn't focus on another OU, f.e. 
    & dsa.msc "/RDN=OU=Marketing"

Jan Hoedt

Monday, March 13, 2017 2:38 PM
  • This isn't a support forum for dsa.msc unfortunately.

Monday, March 13, 2017 3:02 PM
  • So first you tell me that it is working that way. Then I tell you it is NOT working. Then you start again with your rubber duckies.

Jan Hoedt

Monday, March 13, 2017 3:20 PM
  • It works fine for me here when I tested it.

This is not a support forum for dsa.msc, which is a standard Microsoft tool that happens to support certain command-line parameters.

If these command-line parameters don't do precisely what you want them to do, there is absolutely nothing we can do about that.

Keep in mind that this is a peer-to-peer Q&A forum - it is not an official Microsoft support channel. If you want that, you will likely need to open a support incident with Microsoft directly.

• Marked as answer by janhoedt Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:35 PM
    Monday, March 13, 2017 3:23 PM