locked
SharePoint Server 2007 RTM to SP1 upgrade fails RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have SharePoint Server 2007 RTM. I have tried running updates in the following order per this article (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263467(office.12).aspx):

    1. Service Pack 2 for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (KB 953338)

    2. Service Pack 2 for Office SharePoint Server 2007 (KB 953334)

    3. The October CU for Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (KB 975002)

    4. The October CU for Office SharePoint Server 2007 (KB 975731)

    After installation, running the configuration wizard fails with error. Site was unresponsive. I reverted environment to previous state (no service packs installed).

    I have now tried running the configuration wizard without anything installed and it fails.

    I have now tried installing wssv3sp1-kb936988-x64-fullfile-en-us.exe which installs and starts the wizard, but also fails. Error is "Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products and Technologies. An exception of type Microsoft.SharePointPostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown. Additional exception information: Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products and Technologies.

    Errors in the log include:

    11/14/2011 15:57:56  9  ERR                            The B2B upgrader timer job failed.

    11/14/2011 15:57:56  9  ERR                            Task upgrade has failed with a PostSetupConfigurationTaskException An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products and Technologies.

    11/14/2011 15:57:56  9  ERR                            An exception of type Microsoft.SharePoint.PostSetupConfiguration.PostSetupConfigurationTaskException was thrown.  Additional exception information: Failed to upgrade SharePoint Products and Technologies.

    11/14/2011 15:57:56  9  ERR                              Task upgrade has failed

    11/14/2011 15:57:56  1  ERR                                    Task upgrade has stopped and failed.  Total failed is now 1

    11/14/2011 15:57:57  6  ERR                          Task upgrade SharePoint Products and Technologies failed, so stopping execution of the engine

     

    I have tried running

    1) psconfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait

    which fails.

    I have tried running

    1) psconfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -wait

    which fails.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Monday, November 14, 2011 9:20 PM

Answers

  • Hi,

    Stop your timer services and then execute this configuration wizard again.

    I hope this will help you out.

     


    Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:42 AM
  • A WSS_Content database is always referenced with a Web Application.

    Verify that you have removed correctly this ContentDBs from all web application.

    Pay attention that there is also a bug about October CU 2011 that has been correct with latest version of this CU. Try again to download from Microsoft official download swebsite an install it again.

    Fabio 


    FabioA
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:09 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Stop your timer services and then execute this configuration wizard again.

    I hope this will help you out.

     


    Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:42 AM
  • I think I'm a bit farther down the troubleshooting now. This is in upgrade.log on the fail...

    [SPManager] [ERROR] [11/15/2011 12:39:01 AM]: CanUpgrade [SPContentDatabase Name=WSS_Content_270b4af4588e45bd910648ea165aba27 Parent=SPDatabaseServiceInstance] failed.
    [SPManager] [ERROR] [11/15/2011 12:39:01 AM]: Cannot open database "WSS_Content_270b4af4588e45bd910648ea165aba27" requested by the login. The login failed.

     

    WSS_Content_270b4af4588e45bd910648ea165aba27 does not exist. So how do I find what is referencing this and remove it from the configuration?

    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:42 AM
  • A WSS_Content database is always referenced with a Web Application.

    Verify that you have removed correctly this ContentDBs from all web application.

    Pay attention that there is also a bug about October CU 2011 that has been correct with latest version of this CU. Try again to download from Microsoft official download swebsite an install it again.

    Fabio 


    FabioA
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 11:09 AM
  • Fabio,

    Are you stating that there is a more recent CU available? I only see October's here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/office/sharepointserver/bb735839

    I've been able to patch to SP2 successfully. The above mentioned database belonged to the My Sites application. The database had been detached from the SQL Server since May. I deleted the content database inside Central Admin, then deleted the My Sites application. That in combination with manually stopping the timer service every time I run the Config Wizard worked for me.

    Monday, November 21, 2011 6:56 PM
  • Hi Craig,

    latest CU is always October but pay attention to download it from Microsoft Official web site to be sure that is correct release :)

     

    Regards


    FabioA
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 9:41 AM