none
TFS Integration - Tasks with Multiple Resources RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Project 2013 (with TFS plugin) to Publish & Refresh tasks with TFS.  Only one resource can be assigned per work item type (Task, User Story) when integrating with TFS.  What is the best practice for 'project meeting' tasks were multiple resources would participate in a meeting and you want to reflect those hours in the plan?  Just not publish those tasks to TFS or create subtasks for each person under a parent Meeting task?

-Dale

• Edited by Doz4 Tuesday, March 19, 2013 6:17 PM
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 5:25 PM

All replies

• Dale, my namesake --

I cannot think of any easy way to handle this situation.  If your project includes a Recurring Task for meetings, and multiple people need to attend each meeting, I do not see any easy way around the TFS limitation of one resource per task.  The best way I can think of to handle this would be to NOT use Recurring Tasks at all.  Instead, create one long Duration task for the meetings for each resource.  For example, if you have five people who attend meetings, create five tasks and name each task something like Meetings for Mickey Cobb, or the like.  Set the Duration value as the Duration of the entire project and make each task a Fixed Duration task.  Then assign each resource to a meeting task using a very low Units value that represents the approximate percentage of an average week that they spend in meetings.  For example, if Mickey Cobb attends one 2-hour meeting each week, I would assign her at a Units value of 5% (2/40 = 1/20 = 5%).  That is the best I can come up with.  Hope this helps. 

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, March 22, 2013 6:30 PM