pst capture tool agent install fails RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

i downloaded the pst capture tool, installed the console on a central server. then i tried to install the agent on our 2003 x64 file cluster on each node - but i failed. the installation starts and when it comes to start the service it just hangs at starting and then it crashes. after a few tries i can only cancel the installation.

anyone managed to install the tool on a 2003 x64 file cluster?

brgds Deas

Saturday, February 4, 2012 8:10 AM

Answers

• Hi

Microsoft Exchange PST Capture
       System requirements

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista

• Review the Technical Documentation prior to installation of Microsoft Exchange PST Capture
    • Exchange Server 2010, if used to import to Exchange Server 2010 mailboxes or archives
    • Exchange Online (Office 365) subscription if used to import to Exchange Online (Office 365) mailboxes or archives
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 or 3.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    • Microsoft Outlook 2010 x64 (only required on the host computer where you install the Central Service and Console)

No windows 2003.
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=28767
    If you need custom help, you have to open MS support case.  

Terence Yu

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Terence Yu Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:43 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 2:47 AM
  • that´s wat i have installed:

.net 2.0 sp2
    .net 3.0 sp2
    .net 3.5 sp1
    vc++ 2010 x64 redist
    msxml parserver 6.0 sp2

but it is not working. in the system log i just see the service control manager messages about the failing startups.

anyway - i think i have to live with it. thank´s a lot for your help!

brgds Deas

• Marked as answer by Terence Yu Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:42 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 8:58 AM

All replies

• Hello Deas,

I tried on 2003 machine not on cluster it works fine.

why are you installing it on cluster machine? is there any specific reason?

I would suggest you to install on client machines rather than server. 

Kottees : My Blog : Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.
    Saturday, February 4, 2012 12:29 PM
  • why should i install it on a client machine??? there are no pst files on our client machines that i want to import.

as i said - we have a central FILE cluster and i want to scan it and import the pst files.

as this is a free tool - how do we get support for it? can i reach the programmer via this forum? should i contact my tam?

brgds Deas

Sunday, February 5, 2012 9:20 PM
  • hi,

i just want you to try on client machine before installing it on server. in case even if its not working on client machine you may download the source file again and give try.

Kottees : My Blog : Please mark it as an answer if it really helps you.
    Monday, February 6, 2012 1:48 AM
  • Hi

Microsoft Exchange PST Capture
       System requirements

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista

• Review the Technical Documentation prior to installation of Microsoft Exchange PST Capture
    • Exchange Server 2010, if used to import to Exchange Server 2010 mailboxes or archives
    • Exchange Online (Office 365) subscription if used to import to Exchange Online (Office 365) mailboxes or archives
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 or 3.5 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
    • Microsoft Outlook 2010 x64 (only required on the host computer where you install the Central Service and Console)

No windows 2003.
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=28767
    If you need custom help, you have to open MS support case.  

Terence Yu

• Marked as answer by Terence Yu Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:43 AM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 2:47 AM
  • yes, i read the system requirements. but i think these requirements can only be valid for the central console. or do you really think that the whole world has no 2003 and xp machines???

we have about 150 2003 servers worldwide where i want to install the agent to scan and import pst files.

i tried to install the agent now on a 2003 x86 and 2003 x64 server - on both the agent stops at starting services. so you might be right when you say that it will only work on 2008+, but that can´t be what the programmers wanted...

brgds Deas

Monday, February 6, 2012 9:05 AM
  • Hi
       I understand your requirement. I also search it and ask my colleague.
       But no any official article or blog mention this. Maybe you can open MS support case.
       Without official test, it
    is dangerous to install post capture on win 2003.

Terence Yu

Monday, February 6, 2012 9:21 AM
  • i´ll contact my tam and discuss this with him. i tried now to install the agent on a 2008 server and scan mapped drives - this is not supported... so until now the tool is useless for me... :(

brgds Deas

Monday, February 6, 2012 9:28 AM
  • Hi,

See the following link:-

http://sysadmin-talk.org/2010/03/using-microsoft-system-center-configuration-manager-to-deploying-pst-importers-agents/

This is specifically to the Red-Gate software which was bought over which supports Windows XP. i tend to agree that the console may require W7/W2k8 rather than agents themselves... otherwise a silly decision on microsoft to only support windows 7

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 4:47 PM
  • i fear it is like this. my tam told me that they didn´t do it for 2003 because it is 9 years old and in extended support... i completely understand it for the central console, but the agent at least should support every windows version. that can´t be such a problem. they could even give out a beta version or whatever that supports 2003.

brgds Deas

Wednesday, February 8, 2012 5:05 PM
  • Deas,

I'll give 2003 x64 a shot later today - it won't be an official test but I can see what I can accomplish.  What version specifically are you using?  I'm not sure I can get a cluster built, but if time allows I'll give that a whirl also.

Ankur

Thursday, February 9, 2012 8:06 PM
  • I wasn't able to install initially as well on 2003.  However, I did install the following:

• Visual C++ Redistributable x64
    • Windows Installer 4.5
    • .net framework 3.5

And then the agent installed on Windows 2003 x64 SP2 (for me).  Let me know how that works for you.

Ankur

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Friday, February 10, 2012 3:26 AM
    Thursday, February 9, 2012 9:59 PM
  • windows installer 4.5 and .net 3.5 is for sure installed, but the vc++ redistributable i must check "later" when i´m in the office (it´s 0:36 at the moment...). but i think it is not installed.

thank´s a lot for your test and pointing out what´s needed to run the agent. if it is just the vc++ redistributalbe it would be great! :) and i don´t need an official statement - it should just work to help me. i did a quick check today and i have about 500 pst files on my file cluster.

brgds Deas

Thursday, February 9, 2012 11:36 PM
  • I am also waiting on to hear if that works for you?

Where Technology Meets Talent

Friday, February 10, 2012 1:26 AM
  • unfortunately not...

i also created a new 2003 x64 server on vmware where i can play around. .net 3.5 sp1 with latest updates is installed (.net 2.0 and 3.0 is also installed on ths machine), windows installer 4.5 ist installed and vc++ 2010 x64 redistributable is installed.

if it is working on your side, there must be something different...

i also tried to install the x86 version on x64 - same result. also a reboot after all the installations didn´s changed anything.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!

brgds Deas

Friday, February 10, 2012 11:41 AM
  • checking further - this is exactly what I have installed (PSTCaptureAgent.msi):

• Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
    • Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219
    • MSXML 6.0 Parser (KB933579)

Previously (when it failed install), I had noticed setup was causing some errors in the system log.  Do you see anything there?

Ankur

• Proposed as answer by Terence Yu Monday, February 13, 2012 8:15 AM
    Friday, February 10, 2012 6:24 PM
  • that´s wat i have installed:

.net 2.0 sp2
    .net 3.0 sp2
    .net 3.5 sp1
    vc++ 2010 x64 redist
    msxml parserver 6.0 sp2

but it is not working. in the system log i just see the service control manager messages about the failing startups.

anyway - i think i have to live with it. thank´s a lot for your help!

brgds Deas

• Marked as answer by Terence Yu Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:42 AM
    Monday, February 13, 2012 8:58 AM